cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

NCamp2
New Contributor

The issue still persists on HP Probook 6570b. The firmware of the SSD was updated with SSD Toolbox v3.1.8 which should fix the issue according to some sources in the internet

JLu15
New Contributor

Just wanted to report, I'm having this problem as well. Was attempting to use in a Lenovo ThinkPad X220 tablet (4294-CTO) and the laptop originally came with an Intel 320 series 180GB SSD (Lenovo factory part).

I installed a new 530 series 240GB (for a customer) and it experiences this same exact problem--the SSD is not recognized by BIOS when restarting (warm reboot), but works fine when cold booting, booting from hibernation, resuming from standby. OEM SSD was on firmware DC02 from factory, and I updated it to DC12. I believe it had the same problem while on DC02, but can't recall.

Strangely, I noticed the drive is detected if I have a USB flash drive connected during reboot, but I'm still not able to boot to the SSD (Lenovo's boot device selection screen displays, and it just reloads near instantaneously when trying to select the SSD).

I was thinking it was a Lenovo issue but didn't try in any other laptops (didn't have time yet, but I will test more later). I work in an IT shop so I have access to several different brands/models of desktops and laptops old and new.

MvanR1
New Contributor

Hi, I'm a colleague of mstoica who is further investigating this issue; unfortunately this seems to be a compatibility issue with the combination Intel QM77-chipset and LSI SandForce SF2281-controller equipped SSDs. Not using AHCI or cold booting every single time is the only workaround currently known, to us at least.

The problem is, if you've installed your OS with AHCI enabled, you'll need to boot into safe mode and manually change the driver of the controller to a basic/standard IDE controller before turning AHCI off, otherwise you won't be able to boot.

** WARNING ** The instructions above are for advanced windows users only (and a big problem voor Mac-users), so I really hope there will be either firmware-updates for the ssd's or BIOS-updates for affected notebooks to enable use of AHCI without the detection loss. Also disabling AHCI removes the use of features like TRIM (and Garbage Collection too I believe) which will have an adverse affect on SSD-performance.

As for us, we've escalated this with HP, a spare notebook with SSD is on it's way for their techs to examine.

Hi Interlace84,

As Joe_Intel mentioned, we have tested this on a couple of HP systems mentioned here and could not recreate it.

It's very helpful that you've escalated this with HP. I would like to follow-up with your escalation contact at HP. I will contact you via Private Message.

Thanks.

mPrad2
New Contributor

I believe after the recent firmware patch update this issue is resolved! try updating the firmware guys.