cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

DEigh
New Contributor

The new firmware didn't change anything for me. The Intel 530 SSD is still missing in action after waking my machine from sleep or a warm reboot.

My system is a Dell Precision T3600 and the Intel 530 SSD is running off one of the SATA2 ports provided by the Intel C600 chipset (there are two SATA3 ports and four SATA2 ports for this chipset, at least in the configuration for my machine). The system is running Windows 7x64 SP1 with all Windows updates. The Intel storage driver version is 3.7.0.1092.

I'd like to know if a fix is forthcoming in the next week or two, and, if not, how to return the drive to Intel for a refund. All the SSDs I have (including older Intel models, including the Intel 520 SSD) do not have this wake from sleep issue.

Thank you kindly for your help with this frustrating matter.

P.S. I've sent a private message as well as this post.

BChen66
New Contributor

The new firmware does not help as well. My motherboard is Asus Z87-A and I have updated the bios of motherboard to the latest as well. Still sometimes cannot find the intel 530SSD, cold reset works as usual.

Intel, could you provide a solution please?

Hi Pygh,

Do you happen to be using a DisplayPort connection to your monitor? We have reports where some monitors, when connected with a non-compliant DisplayPort cable, can cause this behavior.

If you are using a DisplayPort cable then it is likely you have the problem described here:

/message/225500# 225500 https://communities.intel.com/message/225500# 225500

If that is the case then changing to a VESA compliant cable (without pin 20 wired) will solve your issue.

If you are not using a DisplayPort cable then we will have to do some more investigating into your particular issue.

No,I used DVI connector. The problem is not always happen. sometimes can boot as usual, sometimes are not.

btw, the sata port used by this SSD is port 3, does it matter?

Hi Pygh,

I think I need a full description of your exact issue. Can you describe exactly what you do when the problem occurs? Is the system in sleep mode, shutdown or Hibernate?

Thanks.