cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

DSuth4
New Contributor

We have purchased 6 of these SSD's for use in a Job here at work and all of them are experiencing this issue... Is there any more word on when we can expect a new firmware?

DReic1
New Contributor

I think I have the same problem. Last week I purchased a Intel 530 series 180 GB SSD to replace the operating system drive my Dell 780. The last few days I noticed two instances where the computer was frozen with a bios-like black screen stating that the boot drive was not recognized. I am not sure what event placed the computer in this state - windows update or whatever - but the computer was that way when I wanted into the room. I pressed the power button the computer restated and everything seemed to boot up correctly. I am very concerned about this problem. Should I replace the drive or is there a solid fix for this problem? I want to make a decision this week so I can return the drive without any hassles.

IB4
New Contributor

Same issue with MacBook pro 7,1 13'' and Intel 530 SSD 120GB. Just bought SSD and if I do restart mac does not boot. If I turn off and turn on - everything looks fine. Also when mac going to sleep mode, SSD takes some time to turn off (takes some time to see indicator starts to blink) while OS going to sleep instantly. I bet it is related with the same issue.

Guys, how about the the fix? Is this still scheduled for the end of December? Or should I just return my SSD?

KNgua
New Contributor

I just got the Intel SSD 530 240GB for my Toshiba Satellite U40t-A on Windows 8.1 Pro, and met with exactly the same issues as the rest of the poster here. I would need to restart my laptop several times into the BIOS to get the HDD detected before I could boot up, no issue at all with the default HDD. When it's not detected, the HDD section in the BIOS is blank, like the SSD never existed. With so many different config here facing the exact same issue, it should be clear to Intel that the problem lies in their SSD 530, not manufacturers' PC/Laptop.

Please come out with solution soon or I'll have to return this SSD to Amazon for Samsung 840 EVO, truly disappointed in my 1st SSD from Intel...

* Just saw the reply on page 6, leads me to wonder if your testing processes are thorough enough? For such a bug to happen in so many configs, do you guys have only 1 machine for testing the product before launching it into the market?

Message was edited by: Kent Nguan

TTay
New Contributor

I'm waiting for the update fix and if it doesn't work, then I'll have to RMA it again.