cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Lenovo is obviously able to deliver Intel SSD spare parts for Thinkpads with working firmware versions, since we got one. However to update your existing SSD to firmware LAEi you must probably wait until Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18455 Download Center gets updated with new firmware versions 😞

Thanks. Have you tried to contact Lenovo regards this problem.

Don't understand why buying a genuine Lenovo part it was sold to me with wrong firmware, I may give them a call and see what they will said about it.

Thanks.

Spoke today with Lenovo UK technical support and they are pretty useless (haven't expected too much anyway). The answer was: this SSD drive isn't compatible with T420s bit it is with T430s, how helpful they are.

So now question for anyone on this forum from intel: when and if any firmware update will be release soon so the intel ssd drive 1500 pro will work correctly with T420s, as from the previous posts the correct firmware exist.

Thank you.

Regards.

Hi Aemes,

I'm working to get an escalation contact at Lenovo to help with this. Since the drive is what we call an 'OEM' drive (meaning it has a Lenovo model number) we need to get the firmware from Lenovo. Our generic Intel SSD Toolbox does not allow firmware updates to 'OEM' drives since our generic firmware does not include the tweaks that OEM's need to insure compatibility with their systems.

I'll update this thread when I have some progress to report.

I've purchased many, many Intel drives because they have been rock-solid for me when others just haven't pulled through. I have used the X-25E, M, V, 510, 710, and 520 series drives successfully for several years now with no issues whatsoever. Over the past few weeks, I purchased around 100 more drives. The first 30 or so were the 520 series drives, which all worked perfectly for me. The last 50+ were 530 series, both 120gb and 180gb drives. The BIOS of the PCs that I am trying to install these in don't seem to recognize them consistently. From a powered off state, I can turn the PC on, and it will see the drive one time, and then fail to see it the next. The part numbers that I'm working with are SSDSC2BW120A401 and SSDSC2BW180A401. I have several guys out in the field, and also here at the corporate office working with this, and we don't see any consistency in conditions that cause them to not be recognized by the BIOS. The two motherboards that we are trying to make things work consistently with are Portwell WADE-8075, and a BCM MX45GM.

Prior Intel models work consistently in the same PCs. Ideas? I would hate to RMA dozens of drives.

Thanks!