cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

MvanR1
New Contributor

Dear kford,

Thanks for the update! Since this problem applies to all users of the Intel QM77 chipset combined with a SF-2281 controller-based SSD; is Intel offering any form of assistance to other manufacturers or users with non-intel SF-2281 SSD's in fixing this issue?

Hi Interlace84,

This problem is not chipset related. Several of the contributors to this thread have systems using other chipsets and our internal testing has shown the problem on other chipsets as well.

The problem is simply an inconsistency in the SATA features supported by the system BIOS and the SATA features implemented in the 530.

DSlan
New Contributor

Tried deleting Raid - no success. Is there an Intel SSD that you can suggest that I wont have this problem? Is there any timeline on a solution for the 530?

Hi DASbkr,

The symptom of not being seen after an OS shutdown is very different from the problem others are reporting on this thread.

I've started a new thread to track your symptom. Please use this thread for continuing the discussion.

/thread/46985 https://communities.intel.com/thread/46985

Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm wondering if this issue can explain my problems in booting a xen dom0 domain on a 530 drive (gigabyte z87x-ud5h mainboard).

I can boot the linux installation (without xen) and everything works fine except failure to detect drive at reboot.

Booting xen hypervisor works but the ssd drive is not detected when the dom0 linux kernel boots. I have verified that the sata controller is using the ahci kernel module. The only problem seems to be that the drive can't be detected. A bit interesting since it was detected a couple of seconds earlier when the hypervisor was able to read both kernel and initial ramdisk from the drive.

Could it be that the handover of the disk from hypervisor boot to linux dom0 kernel follows a similar process as a reboot, hence making it impossible to boot (even cold boot)? I can wait for a little while to have this fixed but not for long since the computer is bricked until the issue is fixed.

Is it likely that I have run into the same issue or is this something else that won't be fixed in the december update? Trying to decide if I should send the drive back or not.

Best Regards,

/Martin