cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I looked a bit further into this. The gigabyte board has 6 SATA ports from z87 chipset and 4 SATA port connected to a Marvell 88SE9230 chip. The detection only fails when the disk is connected to the Marvell controller. I can boot if I connect it to the intel controlled SATA ports. Problem is that I need to passthrough that pcie controller to a virtual machine.

It seems most likely that this is a problem with the driver and/or firmware related to the Marvell controller.

/Martin

AZhen
New Contributor

I have exactly same issue. I thought it was my laptop and I even reinstalled my os.

My laptop is Macbook Pro 2010 Mid. After I completely shutting down the computer, I was able to boot. But if I try restarting from the os it fails.

Just bought the SSD two days ago and was quite excited at beginning. Now I am so disappointed. Guess I have to return the SSD.

Hi Gui0506,

Sorry you are facing this problem. We are on track to have a fix ready for release by the end of the year. The fix is OS independent so it will work on your Mac.

Returning the drive is certainly an option, but I want to make sure you know we will have a fix.

DTan3
New Contributor

Facing the same issue with my Fujitsu Lifebook BH531.

DSlan
New Contributor

Facing the same boot problem - After cold boot I power down, enter bios, configure SATA drives and SSD drive appears. System boots correctly. Will always boot from restart but not from cold start. Hope a solution is found!