cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

AP8
New Contributor

It happens entirely outside the windows environment - it affects the drive if you reboot before you go near the OS, so my personal opinion is ignore that particular avenue. I hate to sound like your typical internet using consumer but, I'm surprised how long this has taken to resolve given the bottomless pit of resources Intel must have, am I led to believe Intel couldn't get one single developer to focus on this problem and, given that Intel engineers must be experts and know the ins and outs, locate and elimiate the bug? I also don't understand how this could have slipped through testing or quality control (or whatever it's called these days). Surely this SSD has a target market - the sort of market where people have high-end workstation laptops and below, send a few samples to OEMs and get them to test it if you can't justify having a cupboard full of laptops. What actual field-style testing do these devices go through before they're OK'd to enter the market?

I'm not unreasonable and i wouldn't expect a publicly available fix so soon, but acknowledgement of the problem, updates as to possible fixes and something to set our expectations of when one might be available, wouldn't go amiss. Customers appreciate honesty even if it hightlights incompetance, nobody is perfect.

Anyone care to wager that all their test machines have the controller set to Compatibility?

MJohn29
New Contributor

My new build is doing the same thing. DZ87KLT-75K system board, i7-4771 CPU and 240GB SSD 530.

*** EDIT: Maybe my issue is not the same. I fixed the problem by using the latest nVIDIA WHQL driver instead of the latest beta driver.

MvanR1
New Contributor

It might also be that a faulty driver causes the chipset and drive to behave this way.

WZach
New Contributor II

Having the same problem on a Thinkpad W530. I've tried both quick boot and diagnostic startup. The drive is recognized at POST, but the laptop isn't able to boot from it on warm boot.

HG41
New Contributor

Same exact issue with ThinkPad X220.

Intel will need to respond to this problem with a new firmware or..... recall the 530 series drive.