Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 problem after OS Shutdown

TTay
New Contributor

Hi kford-Intel,

My motherboard is ASUS Z87-Pro and the BIOS version is 1504

Intel 530 SSD 240GB SSDSC2BW240A401(Received through RMA by Intel)

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

i7 4770K (stock)

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2133 16GB

After cloning the replacement SSD through the Intel SSD Toolbox, was prompt that I can start using it. On restart the SSD was missing in BIOS and Windows too.

I had to unplug the power cord and also all USB devices and leave it for half an hour and reconnect all the USB devices and power on the PC. At start-up BIOS detected the Intel SSD, double click my "Computer" the Intel SSD was present.

To test if BIOS and Windows would detect my Intel SSD after doing a "restart"; yes it was detected during three "restarts".

To see what happens when I have the PC shutdown for 5 minutes and power on again, this time both, BIOS and Windows could not detect the Intel SSD but my Samsung EVO 120GB where I installed my Windows 8 Pro is always detected by BIOS and Windows.

If I want BIOS and Windows to detect the Intel 530 SSD ( which is still connected in my PC ) ;- waiting for some miracle to happen, I will have to unplug the power cord and everything mentioned earlier, and leave it for 30 minutes then power up the PC and it will be recognized by BIOS and Windows.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Seems like the Intel SSD couldn't wake up or lock up after PC power off.

BTW I have my motherboard replaced (new same model) and also changed a new Corsair RM650 PSU yet nothing seems to work.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a new firmware to solve all this problem.

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

Hi ken-intel,

After updating the firmware the issue was still not solved.

In order for the BIOS and Windows to detect the Intel 530 SSD these are the things i need to do:

1) When I shut down the PC, I need to also switch off my Dell U2412M Monitor from the main power point, only then will BIOS and Windows detect the Intel 530 SSD on a fresh start-up ( Samsung EVO 120GB have no problem, meaning I need not switch off my Monitor)

2) Immediate restart of the PC does not have this problem.

It's a hassle to have to switch of the power to the monitor every time I shut down the PC so as not to lose the BIOS and Windows detection of the Intel 530 SSD problem.

Guess there is something missing in the 530 chips that is causing this behavior.

Hope you'll be able to come up with a solution.

Cheers

Wishing everyone A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That is a strange problem. I use a 530 with Windows 8.1, with a Z87 board (not yours). I switch between two Dell monitors, a U2312HM and a P2714, using DisplayPort and DVI cables. I am using the Intel 4600 graphics on my i5-4670K. I've never had the issue that you have, the PC boots fine every time.

I have had some slight detection issues, such as a BIOS utility that shows components connected to the board, not seeing the 530. It never fails to boot given that. The new DC32 firmware fixed the slight detection issues.

Are you using the Intel IRST driver? I'm sure it is available on your board's download page. Or are you using the standard Windows 8 storahci SATA driver?

I use IRST 12.8, which has several power and performance options that can be configured with the IRST Windows software. Those are unique to the Z87 chipset. If you use IRST now, you might want to check those settings. I can enable DIPM, and set DSA (Dynamic Storage Accelerator) to the lowest setting, with all C-States enabled including C7, and my 530 works fine.

I know Gigabyte has a "hotfix" for at least some of their Z87 boards, that is used with the IRST driver, to fix drive detection issues. They've had quite a few user issues with drive detection, of any make of SSD or HDD.

I'm curious regarding how a digital monitor interface like DP can be sending "power feedback" to the video source, which then affects other components.

Hi Redot,

I'm working to get my hands on a monitor like yours. I'll keep you posted, It will likely be next week before I can make much progress on sourcing the monitor.

KLim11
New Contributor

Hi,

I have have issue as mentioned above. I just purchased my first Intel 530 SSD 120GB 2 days ago, my motherboard cannot detect SSD during fresh boot. Unplug power cord and wait for 30 minutes then plug in again and boot, SSD show up. Reboot using windows no issue. If shutdown pc, the next booting unable to detect SSD again.

I have upgraded firmware to DC32.

Windows 8.1 Pro

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 (Latest BIOS 2001 published on 2010)

TTay
New Contributor

icebits, if you're using a dedicated GPU with Display Port cable connected to your monitor, try switching off your main power supply to your monitor each time you switch off you PC. Switch it on again when you want to use your PC again.

This is what I am doing at the moment to resolve my issue and hoping that Intel will came up with a new firmware to solve this problem.