cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel DC S3610 not detected by Solidigm Storage Tool

zzf
New Contributor

On Linux, the Solidigm Storate Tool shows "No results" when running `sudo sst show -ssd`. It will not detect my Intel DC S3610.

I need the SST tool to upgrade the firmware as well as configure sectorsize to 4096 from 512. I am also looking to set up TRIM via SATA-USB interface for use with a Raspberry Pi.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

SolidigmYordan

Hello zzf,

Thank you for reaching out to Solidigm™. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the Solidigm™ Storage Tool. We would like to share the following information with you:

- According to the user guide (pages 7 and 8), the SST is supported on the following Linux:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8.0, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4
CentOS 8.0, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4 SLES 12, 15
Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, 20.04

- On Linux systems, the tool must be run with root privileges. This can be done through either sudo or su commands. If running as a non-root user, the tool will not be able to communicate with the drive. Only basic drive information will be displayed, and no drive functions will work. There are two Linux installers: one for 32-bit systems, and one for 64-bit systems.

- Your drive is an Intel DC S3610 2.5 FF, so the firmware version should be G2010170. This is available in both Solidigm™ Storage Tool and the Bootable Firmware Update Tool.

- For sector size command 0xD801with State=0, Option=1, ID Word 106 can be used to change from 0x6003 to 0x4000 (4KB physical sector size to 512B physical sector size support change). (for ATA devices only which is fine for this particular drive).

Note: you cannot have different namespaces with different LBA sector sizes.
Trim Supported True if the device supports the Trim feature. Your drive does support Trim.

- It is recommended that drives be connected directly to the motherboard. If you are connecting the drive through an adapter or enclosure (USB to SATA, USB to M.2, Thunderbolt™), be aware that the BIOS, motherboard, backplane, and tools may not recognize the drive correctly.

Third-party cables or adapters can and do work, but it is important to keep the following in mind:

• Does the adapter or enclosure export the correct model string to the operating system?

• If the tool does not receive the correct model string, the various tools may not work or have unexpected results.
  • The adapter or enclosure must supply power to run the drive.
  • Protocols supported by the adapters need to convert the protocols properly between the drive and adapter. For example, a USB 2.0 enclosure will not work with an NVMe* (Non-Volatile Memory Express) SSD, the adapter should be USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt™
  • Solidigm™ (formerly Intel®) does not provide support for these cables or adapters.

Also, note that there could be a performance impact. For the best performance, connect directly to the motherboard.

- In this case, most Raspberry Pi have USB and SD ports but not a dedicated SATA port so the best practice is to perform the action using other hardware.

If you continue to experience any issues with your drive, or if you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with us via the Solidigm™ Support Hub and we will reach out to you shortly.

Best regards,

Yordan
Solidigm Customer Support.

SolidigmYordan_0-1684173123554.png

I booted into the Firmware Update Tool (latest version 1.3, there were two boot options: "boot" and "install" but I tried both) and it was able to detect the drive as:

Series: Intel SSD DC S3610 Series

Model: SSDSC2BX016T4R

Current Firmware: G201DL2D

At the bottom though, it says no known update for the SSD. From searching for that firmware online and as suggested but your post, there should be a newer firmware for this drive. Any ideas? I am doing this through SATA on my desktop to avoid potential problems.

Also, is it correct that this drive only supports 512 bytes logical and 4096 bytes physical? In other words, it is not 4kn (4k native Advanced Format) and is only capable of 512e (512 B emulation)? Regarding changing sector size, it only refers to changing the physical sector size and the logical sector size of 512 B cannot be changed to 4096 bytes for 4k native Advanced Format?

Much appreciated.

SolidigmYordan

Hello zzf,

Thank you for your response and the information provided.

We will continue to assist you via email through your support case. We sent you a message on 5/15/2023.

We will contact you again within the next two business days with an update. However, feel free to reply to our last email if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Yordan
Solidigm Customer Support.

SolidigmYordan_0-1684358523721.png

Hi, I did not receive an update and am getting a DNS error trying to reply to the latest email on 5/17. Just wondering if my latest response was received.

Thank you.