cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 660p drops out when reading from it

Chris1305
New Contributor

I have been using my Intel 660p form a little more than 2 years and never had a problem, recently I knew about the the Intel SSD business and downloaded the new software (Solidigm Storage Tool) and found out that there was a firmware update so I updated my SSD firmware via the Solidigm Storage Tool and there is when the problem started. It first happened while playing COD: MW2019 the game crashed and asked me to download the game again and I noticed that my 660p its not on my drive list. I proceed to restart my computer and it still doesn't appear so I took it out and swapped with my Samsung 970 Evo+ (OS Drive) which was on the first slot connected directly to the CPU, everything went okay for almost an hour and it did the same thing again and had to download COD all over again to my WD_Black SN750 and had 0 problem. Today while playing AC:Valhala got the exact same problem, all my drives where listed except the 660p which indicate that the problem is the drive itself but the tool shows me Estimated Life Remaining: 98% I thought it may be temperature and it hovers around 34-45C so temperature is discarded. I have 842.22 Gb Free so, it has plenty of space left and tested with Forza Horizon 5, Spiderman Remastered, Crackdown 3, Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA V and Just Cause 4 and it did the exact same thing. I tried smaller games like Minecraft and  Clustertruck and its doesn't exhibit the same problem. Also,  I could not transfer any of the big games because it also disappear in the process, which doesn't happens if as a test, I transfer big games from the SN750 to the  970 Evo+, all that dives me to only one conclusion, the drive its the problem. the available spare normalized percentage of the remaining spare capacity available is at 100% so, bad sectors or anything related could be discarded. 

My PC Specs are:

Ryzen 9 3900X

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WiFi

2x16Gb Oloy Blade @ 3800Mhz

EVGA RTX 3080 12Gb XC3 Ultra Hybrid

(Tried changing the GPU to another that uses PCIe Gen3 to eliminate any theory of PCIe Gen4 on the GPU possibly interfering but it didn't resolved the issue either)

3 REPLIES 3

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, Chris1305.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support related to your Intel® SSD 660p Series. If we inferred correctly, please, review and provide us with the following information:

1- Provide us with the SMART logs from your drive by using the Solidigm™ Storage Tool (Intel® branded NAND SSDs) that is available here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/715595/solidigm-storage-tool-intel-branded-nand-ssd...

For further information on how to extract the SMART logs, please visit:

SST-GUI-User-Guide:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/735799/SST-GUI-User-Guide-727326-001US.pdf

2- We need you to create a backup of your information, run a low-level format in your SSD and let us know the results.

For further information about the low-level format, please visit the When to Run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on Intel® Solid State Drives and Tools to Use article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198.html

Please let us know the results after the low-level format.

We will follow up with you again on Monday, the 29th of August 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, Chris1305.

Greetings from the Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® SSD 660p Series.

We would like to know if you need further assistance.

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 1st of September 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, Chris1305.

Greetings from the Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We are reviewing your community thread related to your Intel® SSD 660p Series. Since we have not heard from you in a while, we are closing this community thread.

If you need further assistance with an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us again by opening a new thread. We will no longer monitor this thread.

Best regards,

Jos B.