cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 3510 1.2TB - Very slow write speeds after power up / optimizer run

PGall3
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am testing the Intel 3510 (1.2TB) SSD to be used in a data logging application. The average data rate requirement is 60MB /sec.

The OS (Windows XPembedded) is installed on a Compact Flash Card. The SSD is used for data logging only.

The test consists of the following:

1) Boot up system

2) Format SSD

3) Automatically run the intel optimizer utility from using the command line options. (wait till completed)

4) Record Data until 90% full

5) Copy Log files to USB drive

6) Reboot the system

The data is generated at an average rate of 60MB / sec. The writes are generally large buffers of data (5-10MB) with occasional smaller writes to a log file.

In the beginning of each test we see a period of a second or two where the data rate drops well below the typical rate. We buffer data to try to work thru these slow periods but our system does not have enough memory to survive when the performance is this slow.

The attached charts show the typical data write speed of 100MB/sec but also the very low performance (<20MB/sec) at the start of the test.

We have used the 3700 series and various predecessors without having this problem. Do you have any recommendations on how we might work around this issue.

Thanks!

Paul

5 REPLIES 5

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Hello u_p,

Thanks for the update. The information you provided suggests that running the Intel® SSD Optimizer as the first task of the test may be causing the delay.

To better clarify this, take into consideration that in Microsoft Windows XP* or Vista*, the Intel® SSD Optimizer identifies deleted files, and communicates that information to the SSD, allowing the drive to do garbage collection in the background and free the usable space. This means that once the optimizer task completes, it will take additional time for the actual garbage collection to take place. The SSD does garbage collection during IDLE times, and stops it when it receives requests from the host.

It appears that your system is recording the test results when the SSD is still finishing/stopping garbage collection tasks.

To avoid this, I would advise you to use the Intel® SSD Optimizer Scheduler, so that the system will run the optimize task at a convenient time and interval, having enough time to finish garbage collection before moments of high workloads. Here are some reference documents about TRIM and Intel® SSD Optimizer:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031242.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drives — What are the Advantages of TRIM and How Do I Use It With My SSD?

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031221.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drive — Intel® SSD Toolbox Frequently Asked Questions