cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set HDD password on SSD 520

un
New Contributor

Hi,

I am using DH77EB motherboard and SSD 520-series boot drive (on SATA port 0, model SSDSC2CW240A3), and I am unable to set HDD User password. The motherboard appears on the list of those supporting HDD passwords. The Set User HDD Password choice appears in BIOS. However, when I try to set the password, nothing happens. I enter the password twice, as I am prompted, but the BIOS still shows Hard Disk Drive Password: Not Installed, and computer boots without asking for password (either with warm or cold reboot). BIOS version is 71. I looked on latest BIOS release notes (ver 101) and did not see any changes to HDD password functions in interim versions, so I have not bothered to update the BIOS. Intel SSD Toolbox (ver 3.1.9) says that SSD firmware is up to date. I purchased the computer in summer 2012, but decided just now to enable SSD password, but alas, no luck. I also tried to switch to IDE (compatibility) mode, as I am using AHCI, and then try to set the password, as some have suggested on various forums, but no luck there, either. Too bad that 520-series turned later out to be 128-bit encrypted instead of originally advertised 256-bit (I found out too late to return it), but now it turns out I can't even use its 128-bit encryption because I cannot set the password (not to mention that the password, even if you could set it, is limited to 8 charcters. Is it a joke?). It is really frustrating that Intel is not able to make a motherboard that would (fully) support its own drives.

Are there any third-party tools available for setting the password? (Unfortunately, Intel SSD Toolbox is of no help here.) If I could set it outside of BIOS, perhaps BIOS would be able to properly handle it (i.e. ask for password on boot)? I appreciate any input as to how I can make this work.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

1. What conditions need to be satisfied before the SSD is encrypted?

2. How can you verify the SSD is encrypted?

• The word Set appears next to the respective password created.
  • Create button is now Edit.
  • Clear button becomes clickable.
  • There is no access to the drive when connected to a different system without entering the password.
  • Additionally, you can use Hard Drive password prompt feature (enabled by default without a password set).

3. Do you have to set the hard drive password in the BIOS before you install the OS or can you do it afterwards?

• You may set the password in BIOS at any time.

4. Does encryption require OS support?

• It is operating system independent; it will encrypt any data stored in the drive.

5. Does encryption depend on a TPM? Or is this a completely separate issue?

• Intel® SSDs have a hardware encryption and does not rely on TPM; it is completely separate as you can see some motherboards supporting the Hard Drive password feature do not include TPM.

6. Can the SSD encryption be used in conjunction with a TPM?

• You may use TPM or a software based encryption with the Intel® SSD but this is completely independent from the hardware encryption included in the Intel® SSD; which is the only encryption method Intel tests and supports. We only recommend using only one encryption method.

If you still have issues setting up this feature, try entering Intel® BIOS in maintenance mode with jumper in pins 2-3 and set up password there, or disconnect any other drive(s) from your system.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-002842.htm Desktop Boards; Clearing BIOS passwords

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Thanks, Joe!

Yep, the last sentence in your previous post did the trick. Actually, I had to do all three things before I was able to set the HDD user password:

1. Set the bios config jumper to 2-3 position.

2. Disconnect all SATA devices, except the boot drive on port 0.

3. Switch from AHCI to IDE (compatibility) mode.

Wow, so many hoops! Curiously, for Master HDD password I only needed to switch to IDE mode.

At least it is working now. Thanks!