cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 SMART not enable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Just installed a new system with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 mobo and a Intel 520 SSD.

My SSD toolbox won't run the optimizer and also says that SMART is disable.

I can't see anything about SMART in the BIOS.

How do I get this running?

Best regards

Mic

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PCran
New Contributor

Yes indeed ! finally the latest version drivers for RSTe seems to correctly make the difference of RAID or AHCI

link of my SSD520.

I 'm using the intel SSD520 to start my Windows 7 64bit and in the same time use 3 HDD in Raid5 for backups purpose.

Previously the drivers gived the both volumes in RAID condition, that can't offer the SMART option work into the toolbox.

Now with the RSTe_Win7_3.2.0.1135_PV drivers, it show the Intel SSD520 in AHCI mode and The Volume created with my 3HDD in RAID mode into the manager entreprise rapid storage, and now my Intel toolbox can effort all the tools to manage my SSD.

But curiously, i meet some around delay response from my system now.

This happend randomly and for exemple when i want to create a new folder with my explorer, nothing seems to react and i need to refresh the vue to see the new folder appaird.

Some executable files doesn't react at the first click.

Some copy past take few second to start the process...

I already compared the speed of another system with SSD520 alone (Bios setup in AHCI mode for the SATA controler), and it's seem to be much more faster than

my system with SSD520 + Raid volume (Bios need to be setup in RAID for the SATA Controler).

The benchmark of my SSD520 give me a correct performance...then i suspected an software drivers issue

(maybe with my Kaspersky antivirus 2012...)

Otherwise Intel SSD 520 240Go (SSDSC2CW240A3) is really a powerful hard drive and i'm really happy from him. Hope this one will have a long life like my last configuration that i used during more than 7 years....

Gigabyte X79-UD5

Intel Core i7-3930K N.O.C.

Kingstom memory KHX-1600 C9D3/4GX X4

Nvidia GTX 560 1GB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, and made the mistake of using two SSD drives in RAID0 as the boot for the system. NOT a good choice, and I really don't recommend it. The iRSTe driver seems to have lots of problems, regardless of version (I've tried everything up to 3.2xxx). The big one is that it faults the RAID with some degree of regularity - averaging once or twice per day. Sometimes, data loss is involved. Rolling back to use the iRST drivers - version 11.xx -- makes this problem simply go away, faultless behavior of the RAID. Some very minor performance hits for doing this (transfer rate drops from 1.01 GB/sec to 950 MB/sec), but given that the system is fully stable, I'll take that hit.