cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25m 80GB READ is slow

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I´ve a problem with my new SSD - the drive is up to date with the new 02HD Firmware, but my Read is too slow. Some hints for me.

Here is my system http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635688&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

thanks in advance

AS SSD Benchmark 1.4.3645.3568

------------------------------Name: INTEL SS DSA2M080G2GC SATA Disk DeviceFirmware: 2CV1Controller: amdsataOffset: 1024 K - OKGröße: 74,53 GBDatum: 28.01.2010 21:08:57------------------------------Sequentiell:------------------------------Lesen: 154,30 MB/sSchreiben: 78,52 MB/s------------------------------4K:------------------------------Lesen: 6,80 MB/sSchreiben: 8,21 MB/s------------------------------4K-64Threads:------------------------------Lesen: 78,31 MB/sSchreiben: 48,47 MB/s------------------------------Zugriffszeiten:------------------------------Lesen: 0,289 msSchreiben: 0,443 ms------------------------------Score:------------------------------Lesen: 101Schreiben: 65Gesamt: 215------------------------------
34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm a happy guy now.

I did some research and purchased a:

Corsair 120 GB Force Series Ultra Fast TRIM Supported Solid State Drive CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT

http://tinyurl.com/28jyrwm http://tinyurl.com/28jyrwm

to replace my intel drive and WOW, SSD can be very fast!

After monkeying around with booting to obsolete alternate OSes and trying to find a way to get the non-intel erase tool in the right version onto that DOS disk and to interact with the intel drive (which it never did) the switch to the Corsair took less than 20 minutes! It is awesomely fast and totally the right choice to just eliminate the intel drive.

I still have this damned intel drive I spent all that money on. At some point maybe I'll try to convince it to behave as a secondary but for now it's so slow it might as well be a 3.5" floppy drive so I don't use it for anything. Amazing that intel would let their early adopters just rot with nothing to show for their money. The stock research organization I work for has advised two clients to sell INTC stock now, hah! Sorry guys but a psuedo monopoly on processors will only get you so far, you still need happy customers to expand.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good for you, you have a new SSD that has had all the bugs worked out of it and you were able to install an OS in 20 minutes, I would certainly hope so. That has been my experience with my three Intel G2 SSDs. Sure, the Intel G1 SSDs were not the greatest, but compared to their peers at the same time they were released, they were fine. If you scan through the SSD forum, you'll find G1 users that are happy with them.

The evolution of SSDs over the past two years has been painful for all manufactures and the public as well. You can verify that on many hardware review web sites, Anandtech being the major one, IMO. All SSDs that do not have TRIM support will suffer performance degradation over time, and why those SSDs were sent to the shelves would be an interesting story to read. Frankly, I understand your anger with the product given what you likely paid for it, and the support for it seems poor. There may be reasons why the support did not occur, but that is a mystery at the moment, so overall Intel dropped the ball on the G1 SSDs.

But, to combine G1 SSDs with G2 SSDs, is a huge overgeneralization. If you had owned an early generation Corsair SSD, and now bought an Intel G2 SSD, you would have wrote the same thing you have above with only the names changed.

Given that Intel had one of their best quarters ever in Q3-2010, the advice to sell Intel stock is, well, you figure it out.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Parsec-

Very well spoken and argued. It made me go back and see if I had said any of those things you refuted. Nope.

My issue is entirely with the way us users who paid INTEL for their top of the line product were treated. As shipped the entire product easily drops to 1% or lower of initial performance within a year and they didn't do anything. It should have been easy for them to provide a software tool to do the repair job, for example, instead of forcing folks to set up their computer to boot to an alternate OS to run an obscure tool from the internet in a 9 step process. They could have provided a software tool to ease repair, or even a discount coupon to upgrade to a G2. Doing both of those would have been classy.

As for selling INTC stock, I'm not saying anyone should sell stock based on one user experience, but rather that perhaps the user experience is a common symptom of the behaviors that are causing a few of their long term issues with new tech traction. Yes, they are having a banner year smashing AMD with their new processor architectures. TTM rev of 42B and free cash flow of 10.1B are a great recovery - at the same time, however, their operating expense percentage is up in recent full years because of all the new products they are launching with low traction and with reasonable values applied their discounted cash flow value plus tangibles is roughly the same as their market cap. Any stock is a poor buy if the price already assumes the best.

Still, INTC does have good stuff going for it right now: higher ROA in TTM than 2009, lower long term debt TTM than 2009, higher current ratio, higher gross margins, and higher asset turnover. I just don't see the growth outstripping what's already priced in, at least not by enough to offset the risks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you darkgreen for your comment, I appreciate it. It seems I am the one extending your comments regarding Intel's G1 SSDs and your understandable frustration, farther than your intent, please accept my regrets about that.

Regarding your comments about what I will simply call compensation for having purchased a poor product, that is an interesting topic in general, and as it relates to the realm of early generation SSDs. It seems silence is golden when it comes to any admission that a product is less than it should be. Given that the attorneys that be advise their clients to "take the fifth" in these circumstances, there still are ways that this issue could be handled diplomatically.

Considering the size of Intel corporation, and whatever their management hierarchy is, I can imagine a scenario where one or a few executives near the top simply decided that the product was fine and that nothing needed to be done. Not that that is a valid reason, but simply a reality. That is, if they were even aware of it at that level, the issue being below their level of granularity. It may have been justified that most or all early SSDs performed in this manner, so why should we admit to producing a poor product when it was no worse than any other.

On the other side of the street, we see automobile manufactures that issue public recalls of their products, and repair them for free. You can't admit your guilit much more than that. Then again, they may be compelled to do this for many reasons. So why we see such huge differences in product liability, to borrow a term, is something I do not understand.

I don't understand what would be so painful for Intel to offer something to owners of these SSDs. If they did so only with those whom contacted them and complained, rather than a public offering, that would not be as costly to them if that is problem. Also, are firmware updates to those products impossible? Or are the resources necessary to do that simply not applied there? We'll likely never know.

Don't get me wrong here darkgreen, but have you (gone through the pain of) contacted Intel about your problem? I'm sure you have better things to do with your time, but I am just wondering. That you would have no motivation to do so is quite understandable.

So folks, this is how a customer is lost. Perhaps lost in the big picture, but lost nonetheless.

I hope you enjoy your new SSD, I love mine.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi parsec-

Just for the record, yes I did try contacting Intel and the company I bought through (NewEgg) through every channel I was aware of. NewEgg responded that it was Intel's issue to deal with (which was consistent with what NewEgg's policies said in advance) and Intel never responded beyond a few form emails from tech support that sounded like they never read my email.

Just to make it clear that I'm not criticizing without trying to get a solution first.