cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on "Bad Context 13x Error"

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Intel has been investigating the 'Bad Context 13x Error' as seen on select Intel® SSD 320 Series drives. This was previously noted in the Intel community post as "SSD Power Loss". To summarize the error: In certain circumstances, after an unexpected power loss, a small percentage of SSDs may experience this error on the next attempt to boot the system. In this situation, the system's BIOS reports an SSD as an 8MB capacity drive.

Intel has reproduced 'Bad Context 13x Error' utilizing strenuous testing methods. This 'Bad Context 13x Error' can be addressed via a firmware update and Intel is in the process of validating the firmware update. A future update will define the schedule to deliver the firmware fix.

The Intel SSD 320 Series continues to be shipped and is available for purchase. If you experience this error with your Intel SSD, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) .

For those with Intel SSD 320 series SSDs who are concerned but currently unaffected, Intel advises the following actions:

• As with any storage device, backup your data regularly
  • When shutting down your system, follow your system's standard shutdown process
  • Minimize unplugging the SSD while your system is powered

Intel takes these issues seriously. Please watch for further updates on this site.

Rgds,

Alan

Intel's NVM Solutions Group

115 REPLIES 115

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The firmware update process ought to be interesting. From the "BIOS password issue" document:

If you have not enabled a BIOS drive password, do not be enable the BIOS drive password.

I'm not sure exactly what that means. But the firmware update procedure that I reviewed directs that the drive password be turned off:

DRIVE PASSWORD The Firmware Update Tool will not run correctly if your Drive Password is set. Make sure that your Drive Password is turned off (in your BIOS Settings) before beginning the firmware update process. After the firmware update has completed successfully, turn the drive password on again.

The BIOS password issue document recommends:

If a BIOS drive password has been enabled, do not change or remove it and contact http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm Intel® Customer Support for more information.

So since I already have a BIOS password, the firmware update will be a special procedure at minimum.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Took a while we have already thrown away disks...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Any updates on this topic? Still eagerly awaiting the firmware update before I want to put the new RMA drive into my macbook..

Vegan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have seen comments in the media over this issue for quite a while now.

Hopefully Intel can figure out what the firmware needs to do be less sensitive to power failures etc.

Given the sensitivity I suggest using a backup power supply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's not a power failure. Don't believe every word said in first message. Many of users have installed their SSDs into laptops, so backup power supply is already built-in and looks like this does not help at all.