cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

197 REPLIES 197

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is it possible to restore to an older firmware? In which case if you do a backup of the SSD image before the upgrade one can give it a shot, right, as if it fails you can put everything back?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

excuse me because my english is very bad - I hope you understand what I mean: Which Driver did I have to use under WIN 7? At this time I am using the intel matrix storage manager - is this driver compatible whith the trim-feature?

if not - what is with this driver: "Intel Rapid Storage Technology v9.5.0.1037 WHQL"?

I hope you will help me...

Greetings

Honesty

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, your Intel driver will not work with TRIM at this time--not compatible. Maybe in a few months they will have another firmware update for drivers other than Microsoft--but right now you need the Microsoft driver to pass TRIM command.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So the full image backup in Windows 7 works? I mean, everything including games is back as before?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't see how the backup would help (in my case..), because BIOS says the drive (X25-M 80GB) size is 0MB and when I put the drive to another computer, all the programs says it is 8MB and serial number is BAD_CTX. So theres something wrong with the drive/firmware itself... Do you guys have the BAD_CTX serial number?