cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

197 REPLIES 197

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Known Issues

2.1 RAID PlatformsThe Firmware Update Tool does not support updating SSDs in systems using RAID.For RAID systems only, use the following instructions:1. Back up your data before performing the following steps2. Perform setup as described in Section 3.13. Burn the ISO image to a CD-RNote: The RAID must be disabled by using BIOS in order to update the drives.Do not use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager or any other softwarebased RAID manager to disable the RAID option.4. Using BIOS, turn off RAID by enabling ―Legacy‖ or ―Compatibility‖ mode, saveand reboot5. Run the Firmware Update Tool6. Verify firmware update7. Using BIOS, re-enable RAID for both drives, save and reboot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I followed the instructions for updating exactly as the Intel guide said too. I have a separate Raid 1 array on the same channel. I disabled that, updated the SSD firmware, re-enabled my raid array and booted. I got into Windows it told me I needed to reboot. I rebooted and now I have a black screen and a dead drive. Looks like RMA time for me.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Add me to the list of people who just completely lost their SSD after the firware update. I installed the update, I got the message that it was successful, started into Windows 7, there was some quick messages on the bottom left that popped up and then a message asking to restart/reboot. After 2-3 times of the same thing, i finally got a message 'Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter'. I tried everything from removing the power cord and SATA cable, then reinstalling to see if it would boot or get recognized but nothing worked.

By the way, other forums have several people reporting the same thing. SSDs are dead. My guess is by tomorrow or Wednesday there will be thousands having this issue and it may be reported on tv news. I hope there's a fix soon.

GBunc
New Contributor

One of the drives I've updated has read errored out too. It was in an EVGA Classified build.

I updated it in another machine that has a G2 as well. That one has survived several reboots now and seems fine. Since both were flashed the same way, I'm ruling out the update causing it and think its some sort of compatibility issue.

I've got it packed up and ready to RMA in the morning, sigh.

DChi3
New Contributor

My system got hosed too. Here are my specs:

Win 7 x64

160GB X25-M G2 boot drive

80GB X25-M G2 data drive

Core i7-860

After the update, I rebooted into Win7 and Win7 told me it needed to restart as other posters have noted. I restarted and got a black screen with the title "Windows Boot Manager" and a message about windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device... and something about /Boot/BCD.

After trying several different things and finding this discussion, I booted from the Win7 installation DVD and selected to repair the computer, selecting to restore from a system image backup that I made right before updating the SSD firmware. And what do you know, the SSD booted fine after the restore. Win7 gave the message again about needing to restart. I restarted, fearing that it would fail upon starting again, but I was pleasantly surprised again as it booted without a problem, with both SSDs apparently working. I rebooted a couple more times just to be sure and no problems so far, so I'm crossing my fingers that everything will continue working.