cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many conflicting posts in this forum!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've read a whole bunch of posts about IDE, AHCI, Toolbox and trim. What a mess. I can't find head from tail.So many contradictory posts. Are some people giving opinions based on posts they've read.. which might be false to being with!?

Is their some official support forum from Intel where Intel support employees can give authoratative answers or because this is a community forum anything goes? I really don't want to bother with I-am-Not-sure answers. I need definite yes or no.

I would like to see an official FAQ from intel answering the common questions. Such as.. does Trim work on IDE port or not (regardles if I should be using AHCI)

I have seen two visible camps around this question.

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In your own words:

Ok.. I wish people recommending RST to qualify that recommendation with the fact that it's only for users with Intel chipsets. I have read posts about trim working only with MS's AHCI driver or with RST. This implies I can use RST. A lot of us use Intel SSD with motherboards from other vendors like Asus and Gigabyte withg AMD CPUs.

Funnily enough Intel Rapid Storage Technology doesn't work on AMD or Nvidia chipsets. Intel FTW.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Redux,

You said; There is nothing stopping you running a manual trim from the toolbox but you don't need to.

The Optimizer is what does the Trim right?

Except if your running Windows 7 and AHCI you don't need to use that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The "Intel SSD Optimiser" executes a manual TRIM operation, which can be set to run automatically if you set up a schedule via the toolbox.

The System Configuration Tuner optimises the operating system.

If you are running Win 7 with an Intel Chipset using either the default MS AHCI driver or RST 9.6 there is no need to run the Intel SSD Optimiser.

If you are running Win 7 with an AMD Chipset using the default MS AHCI driver there is no need to run the Intel SSD Optimiser.

If you are running Win 7 with an AMD Chipset using an AMD driver you need to run the Intel SSD Optimiser.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Toolbox v2.0 gives an optimizer error "Cannot run the Intel SSD optimizer on RAID configurations". I am not using RAID. My AHCI driver is from AMD, not MS. I guess that's why it's giving a RAID error. In another post I asked about the fsutil tool. It seems it only tells you that Windows is able to send the trim command. It doesn't inform if the SSD actually received it and executed it.

My question now is how do I know the SSD is receving the trim command and executing it... as in if AMD's works too? I will ask over at the AMD side about their support of trim. Meanwhile if anyone here knows, I appreciate an answer. While we know that MS's AHCI and Intel RST support it, it doesn't mean other vendors don't.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My AHCI driver is from AMD, not MS

Maybe now would be a good time to say that the MS driver for AHCI for the Intel controller....thats a Intel driver its not MS the only MS driver you get is when you run in IDE mode.

Seeing how AHCI & RAID are the the same driver "iaStor.sys" when installing RST I didn't think there was a MS AHCI driver "msahci.sys" so yes that should work with AMD which means all you have to do is uninstall AMD own driver to use that MS AHCI driver.

Message was edited by: PeterUK