cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Instead of changing system file, you can place http://slil.ru/28702885 this file (after unpack) to c:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox\.

This is a program that simply output "No shadow copies" and exiting.

If you are using shadow copies - you should not use this file - as it is allways saying "No shadow copies".

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hello together,

I found an easy way to make the toolkit work on my XP 32-Bit.

I simply changed my regional settings for non-Unicode Programs:

--> Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> in the advanced tab change the standard setting for non-unicode programs from German (Germany) to English (United States)

This worked for me even when scheduling the Optimizer.

Hope this is of help for you to.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Altogether, I was annoyed by the fact that I got this error message on my Dutch XP Pro using Toolbox 1.3. The sollution was coping the US version of the file vssadmin.exe to a USB stick. With a bootable CD of a Linux distro (Knoppix) I booted the system. With a file manager of Knoppix I managed to remove vssadmin.exe from the Windows\system32 and Windows\system32\dllcache folders after I had saved a copy of the localized version of vssadmin.exe just to be sure. To complete the action I copied the VS version of the file to the folders mentioned above.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Me too, Toolbox 1.3 (1.2 was fine!) says Volume Shadow Copy isn't running, while it IS running! Windows 7 32-bit Italian language

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just installed a SSD on my Windows XP Pro x64 PC. I am getting the same Volume Shadow Copy error that others are getting when trying to run the SSD toolbox. The Microsoft hotfix only gives downloads for Windows Server 2003. There is no download for XP Professional 64! The server 2003 version will not install on my system, it says it is the wrong version (which it is, but I tried anyway). I am running the English version, so I know the language is not the problem. How can I get this to work!?