cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You have missed the question. I can use Intel Tool Box 1.3, the problem is I get the VSS warning message. I can use Trim, but the problem is Intel Tool Box thinks that VSS is disabled, but it's enabled. I have a portuguese version of Windows 7 and the VSS appears in portuguese, I mean the output command, so I can't make Intel Tool Box to understand that, It must see the command "no shadows copy" , but it sees this message in portuguese and therefore it thinks it's disable. Intel Tool Box was made to work in english versions of Windows, pretty silly, considering this is a world wide market. Bill Gates and his crew are idiots sometimes.

I'm afraid of using the Intel Tool Box optimizer with VSS disabled cause it says It can corrupt the Windows restore points, If wasn't for that no problem to run the Intel Tool Box optimizer.

Do you get my point???

Also, Intel Tool Box 1.1 was bugged, had problems with corruption, that's why Intel says we should use Intel Tool Box version 1.3 and firmware 02HD.

PAckr
New Contributor II

Yes I missed the question (I've caught up now). I can't help. I agree that Intel/MS between them have not allowed for non-english systems here, and I think it stinks. I now avoid the problem (Windoze 7 Pro 64bit) by turning off system restore. Good luck.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You think it's Ok to run the Intel Tool Box optimizer with the VSS warning message???

Tomorrow it will complete one week since I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in the SSD, so It's time to run the optimizer. Don't want the SSD to become slower the next few weeks, I'm loving the blazing speed.

Intel crew are idiots, how can they release a software for Trim, Intel Tool Box, which only works with english versions of Windows.

What aboout the other countries??? WTF...

I'm not sure if running the optimizer with the VSS warning message will mean that the program will run without it. I mean, the VSS is definatelly enabled, we know that, but Intel Tool Box doesn't know that cause It needs to see the output command in english, but it's in portuguese. So maybe even if the warning message, the Trim will work with VSS enabled. I don't know if you understand what I meant??? Maybe Intel Tool Box thinks VSS is disable, but it's not, so it will actually run the optimizer with VSS enabled, but I will always get the warning message due to the language confusion, problems.

You think it's possible???

So, you turn off system restore, you don't use restoration ever??? Anyway I don't think there's a problem on running Intel Tool Box with system restore turned on, as long as you don't need to restore, there won't be problem I guess.

Anyway I still Think that Intel Tool Box doesn't understand VSS is on due to the non english Windows, but If VSS is actually enabled, I guess the restore points should be protected against corruption. Anyway I rarely use restoration, never quite use it.

Do you also have a non english version of Windows?? Where you from?

PAckr
New Contributor II

I am in the UK and run British (i.e. original ha ha) English, not American English, and it seems that any system using the non-American something-or-other had problems. My codepage is 850 & I think only codepage 437 was allowed for by Intel. It doesn't say much for the Intel programming - that's life 😞

On my current system (Intel toolbox V1.3, Windows7 Pro 64bit) I have System restore disabled & I get no warning message when I run TRIM. I never use restore and I have used TRIM for several weeks with no problems. I really really never have used system restore and I don't intend to make it possible to do so. Corrupted Windoze = great excuse to format C: & clear up the system.

All I read about VSS & restore points is:-

"The VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) service is either disabled or not functioning properly. If you run the Intel® SSD Optimizer with the VSS service disabled, previously-created restore points or other shadow copies created by the operating system or third-party applications may become corrupt. If you intentionally disabled the VSS service for performance or other reasons and wish to continue running the Intel SSD Optimizer, click Continue."

UNQUOTE - source http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258044-14-intel-toolbox-warning-volume-shadow-copy-service

This seems to be similar to your question and I hope it helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I always get this message when trying to run Trim (Intel Tool Box):

"The VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) service is either disabled or not functioning properly. If you run the Intel® SSD Optimizer with the VSS service disabled, previously-created restore points or other shadow copies created by the operating system or third-party applications may become corrupt. If you intentionally disabled the VSS service for performance or other reasons and wish to continue running the Intel SSD Optimizer, click Continue."

How do you disable restoration in Windows 7, where is this option??? So, If you disable restoration you don't this warning anymore??

Why do you say Windows 7 Pro x64?? I thought the Windows 7 versions available were, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. Don't know if in England they sell a Pro version???

Do you think I should disable restoration before running Intel Tool Box optimizer?? I don't think there should be a problem running Trim with the VSS Warning If I'm not going to use restore points. I've only used restoration once due to a virus infection, rarely though.

I guess you agree it's important to run Intel Tool Box at least once every 2 weeks for the Intel SSD to keep it's speed up to date, right?

If you think It's a good idea to turn off restoration to run Trim in order to avoid VSS Warning as our Windows versions are not american, I might try that, just don't know where is the option to disable restoration?

Thanks for helping out..