cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows XP x64 is (a downgraded version of) Windows Server 2K3 for the purposes of hotfixes.

I do have to ask everyone using XP x64, are you sure you're downloading the hotfix for the right processor version? I.E. the Itanium 64 version (circa 2002) or the x64 version (circa 2005)?

That could be why some of you are getting the "incorrect version" error msg.

Since I also use this OS, and have more than a passing interest in purchasing an Intel SSD, I'm rather curious about whether I have to find v1.1 of the Toolbox - the link for which appears to be broken - or whether the problem is due to being offered a less-than-clearly-labeled version of the hotfix.

PAckr
New Contributor II

When I tried the hotfix (see posts 18 & 19 in this thread), it was the x64 not itanium 64 patch that I tried. At the time I was unable to find a patch that described itself as being for XP64, so I assumed that was the problem (but I could easily be wrong here). I never understood why a page that reported to have a hotfix for XPpro 64bit & Server2003 64bit only contained Hotfixes that were labelled as if they were for Server 2003 64 bit only.

Before I moved over to Windows 7 64bit I was using XP64pro (with System Restore disabled), Intel Toolbox V1.1 & two SSDs for a couple of months with no problems. TRIM refused to run on Toolbox V1.2 but worked fine with Toolbox V1.1. I moved over to Windows 7 for gaming reasons, but I wish I hadn't wasted the money. I am about to use the spare XPpro 64bit on a PC with a single SSD currently using XPpro 32bit, as disabling System Restore and using Toolbox V1.1 worked fine last time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you moved to Windows 7 for gaming reasons, you did the right thing definatelly. Why do you wish you haven't spent the money on Windows 7???'I find Windows 7 to be a great OS, way better than the bugged Vista. XP had it's time, now it's time to move on, unless you deal with old programs that do need XP support.

If you're a gamer, you can't regret having Windows 7 in your machine, it's 10 times better than XP. I think you made the right choice moving on, well, that

's just my opinion.

I had few problems with Vista, but I was able to get along with it, but I'm liking Windows 7 a lot, it's a lit smoother than Vista with the same beautiful interface. As I use 3D Vision to play games, XP is not a choice for me.

PAckr
New Contributor II

I accept your opinion about W7 and I am coming to accept that many people actually like Windows 7.

I hated Vista so much I went back to XP, but my opinion of Windows 7 is:-

there are no games I play that would not have worked on XP,

Aero is not a problem because I turn it off, but I certainly don't use it (I hate the fancy bits that just do not help me do what I want to do),

at least XP would give me the large open classic start menu so that all programs could be seen at once while Windows 7 is small cramped & slower to use,

I was using LCD shutter glasses for 3D games using nVidia drivers under XP for over 5 years, so nothing new here,

no one has yet been able to tell me how to make it so every single directory opened with windows explorer will use the same settings whatever the type of files inside (even Windows 3.1 could get that right)

I don't hate it enough to change back to XP, but the PC I am about to rebuild will be XPpro 64 bit not Windows 7.