cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

PAckr
New Contributor II

I use Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

To turn of System restore totally, Windows Explorer > Computer > Properties > System Protection > Configure > Turn off system protection. I can now run TRIM on Toolbox 1.3 manually & schedule it to run automatically. I have never seen the message you see because system protection was disabled way before the Intel toolbox was installed.

But turning off system restore is not the way forward for everyone. I disable system restore the instant I install windows, but that's just me. Some people love it (and need it) so I would never say it is "sensible" to turn it off. You should not do any damage by turning it off for long enough to try to run TRIM, just be aware of the consequences should you ever corrupt Windows.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes Of coursel Windows Pro , Professional I haven't thought about that.

I think I'm going to try run Trim with the VSS warning and see what happens, I think there shoudn't be a problem If I'm not going to use restoration. If I don't succeed running Trim, then I'll disable system protection like you showed me.

Anyway, I still think Intel Tool Box should be able to run the opimizer and as I have VSS enabled, the restore points should be protected, even with the annoying VSS Warning. Let's see what happens.

PAckr
New Contributor II

When I first ran TRIM with the Intel toolbox after installing Windows, it took a few tens of seconds per SSD, now when I run it TRIM runs in about 1 or 2 seconds.

As a comment, I have my motherboard BIOS set to "IDE mode", if the motherboard was set it to "Native SATA" mode so that the correct drivers were installed, then I/you would possible not even need toe Intel toolbox, see http://communities.intel.com/message/76640# 76640

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nice link you've provided. Very needed stuff.

My board is a XFX 790i Ultra SLI that has a Nvidia chipset. I'm not using and didn't installed any chipset drivers cause I would run into issues with the SSD, as Nvidia drivers were not meant to be used with SSD. Nvidia no longer produces chipsets.

So, I've only installed the Microsoft drivers that came with Windows 7. I'm using the IDE/ATAPi drivers, Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Those are the drivers that I'm using for the SSD and my secondary hard disks. I've read a lot about SSD before installing it and I was aware not to se any Nvidia driivers. So, I guess I'm in the right foot.

So, Do I still need to use Intel Tool Box using Windows 7 with dual channel PCI IDE controllers??? I'm not using the Microsoft Matrix drivers, the ones that should not implement Trim functionality. I'm not sure if my Nvidia board has AHCI support, but when I look at my storage controllers, I see one Standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controller and and 4 Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE controllers.

I'm not sure if these drivers are the ones that implement Trim functinality within Windows 7?? Also, I'm not sure if my board supports AHCI either. Are we using the same Microsoft drivers, do we still need to run Intel Tool Box??

BTW, yesterday I've run the Intel Tool Box optimizer for the 1st time. It took only a few seconds to run the optimizer and after that it was all green!!!!! I guess no problem at all running Trim. But I would like to know If I still need to run Intel Tool Box manually or If Windows 7 will do this automatic for me??

How do we know Win 7 is "trimming" , do we see a message saying Trim under progress or stuff like that??? At least with Intel Tool Box we see the Trim process.

The picture below shows the storage drivers I'm using for the SSD + Windows 7

PAckr
New Contributor II

franco,

I don't yet know how to check if the TRIM commends that Windows 7 is supposed to issue are reaching the SSD or not. Nowadays I always stick with Intel chipsets and Gigabyte motherboards because they give me the least grief in life. I did not install any special drivers during installation, I use only the drivers that came with Windows and the motherboard and my guess is that Windows TRIM commands will not be getting through. The fact that your system lists AHCI should mean that it has AHCI support, but I don't understand enough to know if that is sufficient to let TRIM commends get through. My system does not show AHCI support because of my BIOS settings, but it works, I use Toolbox to issue TRIM commands once a week, so I need no more.

Are we using the same Microsoft drivers? I sure don't know

I found this page

http://superuser.com/questions/64121/ssd-and-trim-on-windows7

and it would seem that your system (installed with ACHI=enabled) might indeed pass TRIM commands through, but mine won't. But I really don't know how to test for TRIM commands getting through, if I find out I will let you know.