cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox can't communicate with Intel SSD nor HDD in SATA RAID

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've discovered that having a direct SATA connection to Intel SSD is not enough for the Toolbox to communicate despite what the SSD product FAQ's and other instructions say. It appears that configuring mobo BIOS for RAID is yet another hurdle the application can't get over. I didn't test this w/o BIOS RAID configuration so I don't know if that works or not.

The relevant system components are entirely Intel. My Intel DX79SI mobo with i7-3930 processor is configured with one 300GB Intel 320SSD as system disk and a set of 3 mechanical drives in a RAID5 data set controlled with an Intel C600 SATA controller. It boots and runs fine. However the SSD Toolbox reports that SMART is disabled so it can't display SMART wearout and drive health data. Neither can the Toolbox view SMART data for any of the other SATA HDD in the RAID set. Given this issue I don't trust that it is properly reporting the firmware level, or that it can safely update SSD firmware if it thinks it's warranted.

It doesn't appear that Intel has posted this as a known issue in any literature, but I'm assuming this problem isn't strictly limited to my system. I'd like a response saying this is either a known issue else is known to work. We can proceed from there.

36 REPLIES 36

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I feel your pain. Alot of discussion about the X79 chipset/C600 in this any other sections of the support community. (SSD, Chipset, Motherboard) sections all have discussion regarding the features or lackof.

Here is one that explains some of the mystery /message/155972# 155972 http://communities.intel.com/message/155972# 155972

I use an Intel DX79SI MB/I7 3930k with bios configured as raid even though it also enables AHCI for drives not in a raid set. Intel 520 240GB SSD in port 0, CD/DVD in port 1, 4 WD Caviar black 500GB drives in ports 2,3,4,5 configured for raid10. In order to use the SSD toolbox with all features available (smart attributes, drive health and SSD optimizer) I must use Intel driver version 11.0.0.1032 for the storage controller (C600 chipset). When manually installing this driver in device manager, a windows exception pops up informing me the drive is not valid for the chipset. However it does work. This also prevents the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise IAStorUI.exe from running-will not start the GUI.

If I use the "recommended C600 driver v 3.0.0.3020 I can use the RSTe gui, but the SSD toolbox does not display smart data, health of the SSD, an cannot use the SSD optimizer. I do switch back and forth ocasionally, but the RSTe GUI has very little value other than some icons of my drive. It can check the health of my raid10 array and do some detection and repair of physical sectors-maybe, not repair just flagged as bad.

The C600 comes in a variety of hardware releases. some are sata, some are sas, some have both. No conselation though.

It is also my conclusion this platform was not quite what I expected. But only the storage controller, which is vital. I went with the Intel board based on my experience as a rock solid platform without some of the added features (bells and whistles) that I don't need.

It is curious to note not too much feedback from Intel reps in the forums regarding this problem despite being mentioned in other sections. Also my discussion with support was fruitless, Seems the support person I opened up the ticket with did not have any valuable or correct information to provide.

It really is a shame the limitations of the storage controller. I've been in the hardware engineering field of IT for over 25 years and have experienced some of the worst nightmares known to the industry and can only say I am quite disappointed. If I could trade in my $1,200 CPU, motherboard, and SSD, I would.

It's hard to say for sure what caused your bsod, but I suspect it was the driver. Usually is, when the code/driver violates the hadware abstration layer.

Good Luck,

Tom

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks!

I think I will install Intel's latest 11 series RST drivers like you described. Microsoft's AHCI drivers work, but I just tried a game that has to fetch a lot of data from the HDD and it stutters every thirty seconds or so. I remembered this behaviour from when I put together a legacy Pentium 3 system a few years ago and I observed the same behaviour until I installed Intel's drivers, which solved the problem.

Cheers!

tpi2007