cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD power loss report updates

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Intel is aware of the customer sightings on Intel SSD 320 Series. If you experience any issue with your Intel SSD, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) . We will provide an update when we have more information.

Alan

Intel's NVM Solutions Group

81 REPLIES 81

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, I'm sure that "good" advice saved people from losing data on their Intel 320 SSDs with the 8MB bug. Oh, wait, no it didn't, since their data was already lost!

I hope people with the 8MB bug will continue to experiment to try to discover more about the problem. Don't worry about hysterical posts saying not to experiment.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

koitsu: Thanks for the advice. One point though: people who have experienced the 8mb problem now have a dead drive anyway, so the usual wise caution is no longer necessary. The worst that can happen is that the drive gets stuffed, which since that is the starting point nothing really is lost.

That said, I really don't think there is any point in trying to fix this problem in the community. If the Intel experts who made the drive are taking this long, I don't think anybody else has a chance. I don't think it's a bad batch, that would have been relatively easy for Intel to know that at this point. It's obviously some firmware or hardware issue that no magical tinkering is going to fix, IMO.

This is a strike against Intel's reliability, which everybody was lauding after the OCZ troubles. The sad fact seems that every model of SSD has a serious problem or two.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not think it is at all obvious that Intel even has any engineers working on fixing this problem at the moment. All the Intel rep acknowledged was that Intel is aware of the bug reports, and will provide more information when they have it. Some people have experienced this same bug with G2 X25-M SSDs (look in this very forum), although the problem seems to be more widespread with the 320 series, perhaps it was exacerbated by the addition of the power-loss-protection-capacitors functionality.

Bottom line is that it would be good to hear Intel acknowledge that they are working on fixing this bug, since it (or something similar) has been in the SSDs at least since the G2 X25-M series.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I just got this problem with the G2 X25-M "Postville" 80Go a few days after I updated it to the last firmware, I don't know if it's a coincidence, bad luck, or if it's related...

I doubt they will refund it if I send it to RMA and I don't see the point to receive another SSD with exactly the same problem, so I guess I'll try to secure-erase it with HDDerase, hoping this fix the problem and keep disk images.

Anyway even if this fixes the problem, it's very annoying to know I can loose my datas at any moment...

Also, does intel recognises this BUG (yeah, it's a bug ...) is not only related to the SSD 320 series but also to the X-25-M ? Are there any plans to extend the warranty on these models too ?

This is the second Intel-related (see /thread/20439?start=0&tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/20439?start=0&tstart=0 o/) I got in a few weeks, I'm currently very disappointed.

Piet.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Piet

there no storage product in market that invulnerable crashes/data loss

this is wrong thinking that SSD is different from HDD that invurnerable to data loss

do you think other SSD safe you from data loss?

and other problem, you can check any computer related forum there always an issue

the funny things, is that some people just looking for a refund when a product dont work, RMA first even twice if needed

if after you get 2nd replacement and still getting same issue, then you can/should asking for refund