cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART questions especially "Unsafe Shutdown Count"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed a new 510 series 120Gb SSD to my DH67GD in the last several days, and am alarmed to look at the SMART attributes via the SSD Toolbox, where it says ID C0 Unsafe Shutdown Count is 6. Six unsafe shutdowns? I have been babysitting this thing since birth, having installed W7 HP 64-bit from scratch, and I have yet to experience anything at all that would account for a number like this. No BSODs or power interruptions at all. What am I to think of this? I've in fact only shut the PC down completely a couple of times, the rest of the time it's been placed into S3 Sleep mode.

Anybody?

Another question: it was suggested in this thread /message/106050# 106050 http://communities.intel.com/message/106050# 106050 that SMART should be turned-OFF in BIOS, but then refers to a link where contradictory advice is given. For the DH67GD, with an SSD and the Toolbox, should I turn OFF SMART in BIOS?

14 REPLIES 14

RGiff
Contributor

Ithink this is a software Bug , I run my computer on a High End UPS and always shut down the computer right and mine says I have 42 unsafe shutdowns . which I know is not true , and I am the only person that touch this machine.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The first question I have is: did the drive have SMART attribute 0xC0 (Unsafe_Shutdown_Count) as zero (0) when you purchased it, and it has increased to 6?

I have a very, very hard time believing this is a bug. Most consumers/end-users do not understand how the ATA protocol works, nor what "unsafe shutdown" actually means. It is the responsibility of either the operating system or the underlying storage driver to submit the ATA command 0xE0 (STANDBYE IMMEDIATE) right before the OS is to shut down (power off) the system. This should not happen on a reboot. Quoting ATA8-ACS2 specification, section 7.55:

7.55 STANDBY IMMEDIATE - E0h, Non-data

7.55.1 Feature SetThis commands is mandatory for devices that implement the Power Management feature set7.55.2 DescriptionThis command causes the device to immediately enter the Standby mode.

Alternately -- and I would need to discuss this with an Intel engineer to be certain -- one should be able to submit ATA command 0xE1 (IDLE IMMEDIATE) with the Unload feature bit set. Again, quoting ATA8-ACS2 specification, section 7.19:

7.19 IDLE IMMEDIATE - E1h, Non-data

7.19.1 Feature SetThis command is mandatory for devices implementing the Power Management feature set.7.19.2 Description7.19.2.1 Default FunctionThe IDLE IMMEDIATE command allows the host to immediately place the device in the Idle mode. Command completion may occur even though the device has not fully transitioned into the Idle mode.

7.19.2.2 Unload feature

The optional UNLOAD feature of the IDLE IMMEDIATE command provides a method for the host to cause a device that is a hard disk drive to move its read/write heads to a safe position as soon as possible. Upon receiving an IDLE IMMEDIATE command with the UNLOAD feature, a device shall:a) stop read look-ahead if that operation is in process;b) stop writing cached data to the media if that operation is in process;c) if a device implements unloading its head(s) onto a ramp, then the device shall retract the head(s) onto the ramp;d) if a device implements parking its head(s) in a landing zone on the media, then the device shall park its head(s) in the landing zone; ande) transition to the Idle mode.The device shall retain data in the write cache and resume writing the cached data onto the media after receiving a Software Reset, a Hardware Reset, or any new command except IDLE IMMEDIATE with UNLOAD feature. A device shall report command completion after the head(s) have been unloaded or parked.NOTE 11 — The time required by a device to complete an unload or park operation is vendor specific. However, a typical time for a drive to unload heads on to a ramp is 500 ms, and a typical time for a drive to park heads in a landing zone is 300 ms.

I realise IDLE IMMEDIATE with Unload set looks like it's intended for mechanical HDDs -- technically it is. Sure, SSDs don't have heads to park, but SMART attributes can be used to track all sorts of things. There are http://kb.acronis.com/content/9127 many other references (and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.# Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes another) to my claims.

If you think my claims are nonsense, please read the http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/intel_ssd_toolbox_user_guide.pdf Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox User Guide, section 3.4.2.6, for confirmation of my claims.

So, basically your OS or storage subsystem driver isn't properly submitting 0xE0 to the controller prior to the system powering off. Or the controller is ignoring the data submit to it. Or the system powers off too quickly before the time the command was commit and the time the drive was able to process the command. Again: this should not happen on reboot. A kernel panic (BSOD), abrupt system power-off, or hard system reset (pressing the reset button on the system case) will cause this attribute to increment.

Your next question will be: "So how do I verify what's going across the wire? How do I debug this?" The simple answer is: you can't without a SATA protocol analyser in-band (between the SSD and the controller). You're just going to have to believe me. 🙂

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

koitsu you & I posted at the exact same time so I am now trying to absorb your comments (thus far, I do not understand! technically). Thanks for contributing and I hope an Intel engineer will jump-in to clarify.

To your question, AFAICT it is entirely possible in my case that my USC of 6 was indeed on the SSD when I installed it. It was a few days before I noticed it in the Toolbox but in the hours since I did I have not seen any incrementing upwards (nor have I had any crashes or "unsafe shutdowns").

In any case since I have an Intel mobo DH67GD and a sole Intel 510 series SSD w/no other hard drives installed, this is purely an Intel issue imo and they should be able to explain it...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

tomf wrote:

... In any case since I have an Intel mobo DH67GD and a sole Intel 510 series SSD w/no other hard drives installed, this is purely an Intel issue imo and they should be able to explain it...

This is not "purely an Intel issue". I can show you this same issue/behaviour on a classic MHDD when a machine doesn't properly set IDLE IMMEDIATE or STANDBY IMMEDIATE before shutting down. 🙂 I have all sorts of drives that behave like this (particularly ones from Seagate), intermittently too, on Windows. Just because the system claims to be shutting down doesn't necessarily mean, in every situation, the drive is actually receiving the proper command before the system's power is terminated. Like I said: without a SATA protocol analyser, there's no way to verify this and you'll just have to trust me.

There's nothing to worry about anyway. A non-zero RAW_VALUE for SMART attribute 0xC0 is completely acceptable. SMART won't trip (start reporting "bad health") because the adjusted value (VALUE) hasn't reached THRESH (threshold). For example, here's my Intel 320-series SSD:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

192 Unsafe_Shutdown_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 15

Do you see anything wrong here? I see absolutely nothing wrong. The drive has not been properly shut down a total of 15 times (the RAW_VALUE was 0 when I got this drive). Can I account for all 15 times this happened? Yes I absolutely can. The most recent 9-10 are due to my workstation http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/sporadic-shutdown-adventure-day-1/ losing power abruptly.

You need to learn how to read SMART attributes properly. Would you like me to teach you how to read the above data correctly, or would you rather insist there's a problem that isn't there? 🙂

EDIT: Here's a multitude of server drives I have which exhibit the same thing you claim is an "issue". Note the different in models, and the fact they're not Intel SSDs.

Here's a 3-disk system:

Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Black

Device Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 27

Device Model: WDC WD2001FASS-00U0B0

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 16

Device Model: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 23

Another system, with 2 disks (the 2nd disk doesn't track SMART attribute 0xC0, however -- it's too old of a disk):

Model Family: Western Digital RE2 Serial ATA

Device Model: WDC WD3201ABYS-01B9A0

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 14

Model Family: Western Digital RE Serial ATA

Device Model: WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1

Now a system that has 4 disks in it:

Model Family: Western Digital VelociRaptor family

Device Model: WDC WD3000HLFS-01G6U0

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 8

Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Black family