cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced OCZ Vertex2 240GB with Intel 520 240GB - HDD light contstantly flashing

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, I just replaced a faulty OCZ Vertex2 with Intel 520 and so far am very pleased with the Intel SSD. OCZ is being RMA'd. One thing I noticed is that my HDD is constantly flashing, CPU monitor shows a lot of activity (i7-2600K) however HDD monitor shows little activity. Is it normal? Ran optimization under Intel Toolbox (TRIM optimization), let the machine sit overnight in logged off mode to allow for the collection of garbage, but it still is flashing non-stop in a rapid fashion. Any ideas?

Thanks,

lisior

i7 2600K 3.4 GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev 3.0 | Patriot Division 2 8172 MB 1600MHzRadeon HD 6990 | SyncMaster 2343 | Intel SSD 520 240 GB | WD 2 TB SATA 7200 rpmCorsair AX 1200W Gold | Antec Twelve Hundred Gamer
6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Given your screenshot with the CPU usage gadget at 30% overall, with an i7-2600k, that is certainly not an idle PC situation. That may not be representative of the typical, low load CPU usage level on your PC, but if it is, you have all kinds of things running. Therefore, you'll have quite a bit of I/O in your file system to go along with that.

Windows 7 has many logs that are being written to all the time. If you've never seen them, from Control Panel select Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer. Click on just about anything on the left side of that screen to view one of the many logs, and their many entries. Don't be scared immediately if you see some marked Error, check them and they'll likely be nothing.

So your previous SSD did not cause the HDD activity light to flash like the 520 does? You're not using a new case that has an extra bright HDD LED, or fixed the connection to that LED from the mother board, or something along those lines? Hmm, was your other SSD that screwy that the HDD LED would not come on when it was in use (or having issues?)

The drive activity LED on all my PCs are flashing all the time, I'd be worried if it slowed down or stopped, frankly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Try to monitor disk activity with http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 Process Monitor or http://www.ssdready.com/ssdready/ SsdReady is there actuial writes or not.