cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reformating a partition and Nand

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For the Intel X-25, to reformat the hard drive does it require a special utility to make the Nand in it like new or will a regular format do the job?

21 REPLIES 21

Guest wrote:

Actually i have Windows 7,unfortunately the licence expired ,so instead of shelling out another 200 dollars to Microsoft I'll simply use my old Vista 64.I've decided to delete the Windows 7 OS by using the the Windows 7 disk,then shutting down the computer.I'm stalling until I get a full understanding about the F6 drivers applied to Vista 64.Someone said theres a problem.Something about AHCI not working under Vista .If thats the case I doubt the Intel SSD toolbox will work and it will limit the performance of the SSD.what are your thoughts?

assuming your drive is a g2, you can simply install vista and the toolbox as normal and then run the optimizer to trim the drive. i.e. you don't really need to secure erase the drive unless it's degraded really badly.

ahci works in vista. the optimizer does not require ahci mode, but problems can arise with certain sata controller/mode/driver combinations. you didn't specify your pc hardware configuration.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Above should read "infocus" instead of guest..

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The Bios is set in AHCI,Raid 0.With the OS on the SSD.Yes its a G2.

you mean the g2 is part of a raid 0 array? then the toolbox optimizer will not work. if the sata controller is in raid mode, but the g2 is not part of the array, then the optimizer should work, controller/driver combination permitting. what chipset does your motherboard use?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an Intel chipset.The SSD is not in Raid!

A guy on another computer forum stated that if using Vista on an SSD that instead of using Intels F6 drivers ,its best to use the IMSM drivers,due to a glitch in Vista.I'd prefer to apply the F6 drivers during the OS install.whats your opinion?