cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 510 is not performing

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new 510 120GB SSD installed into my i7 920 computer with an X58B motherboard. I used a Rocket 620A Dual Port SATA 6GB/s interface card. The card reports the drive at boot time and says the mode is 6G.

I installed a clean copy of Windows 7 Homer Premium. First thing I noticed was that the 620A showed an invalid driver but I managed to get one from a website. Have it in AHCI mode.

Then I downloaed the Intell SSD toolbox. It shows my SSD drive as well as my two 1 GB SATA drives. However while I can click on the two 1GB drives if I click on the SSD drive the toolbox refreshes. I cannot select the drive, but can select the two 1GB drives no problem.

I checked my Windows 7 set-up, defrag was set and superfetch was enabled! What the!

I thne tried to use the Intel Firmware update. Booted onto the CD and it ran the Intel software but reported no SSD drives!

I ran ATTO benchmark, my SSD is doing 120 MB/s top speed.

Rather disappointed, have to assume this is somehow all screwed up, even though this is a 100% clean install of Windows 7, and Windows 7 had no problems identifying the drive and installing on to it.

help please

Simon.

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The issue is most likely with the Rocket RAID card.... this is an entry-level host-based controller card. I doubt the drivers support TRIM.

In fact, you will most likely get better random perfomance on the ICH10R instead. SATA 6Gb/s is nice for sequential performance but random performance is much more important for an OS/app drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Moving the interface card to a different slot gave me 5GB/s access to the card and 300 MB/s access to the drive. Not quite what was quoted but a lot better, However the toolkit and the firmware upgrade still do not run. Are you saying this is a problem with the Rocket card? It does support TRIM and NCQ so does have drivers that do everything they are supposed to do.