cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my SSD drive dead?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a 34nm 160GB X25-M SSD drive that about a month old.

It has been working fine thus far, but yesterday my PC just froze.

Upon a hard reset, the computer now fails to boot. I see the BIOS POST, but once thats done and OS needs to load, it just stays at a blank screen with the HDD activity LED all on constantly.

I have no access or know of any diagnostic tools that I could use to test my SSD.

I used a windows boot disk to start, and tried the "startup repair" option but it failed saying bad disk.

It did however detect the disk at the time.

I took the disk out and put it in another PC, and 1st it had troubles recognizing it.

Then when it recognized it, it detected it to be a 8MB disk.

I tried using the firmware update tool, but that fails with "No Intel SSD Drives detected"

I plugged the SSD back into the original computer and the system sees it as a 0MB disk.

Is this SSD dead?

And why would it die all of a sudden during an OS hard crash?

System:

Core i7 975

EVGA X58 Classified 760

12GB Ram

EVGA GTX 295

Windows 7

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So my drive is bricked again .... im going to RMA it too.

Booting from a ordinary Samsung Drive now.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have exacly the same problem with my ssd X25- E extreme ..system only reconiced 8mg .....lost all my work......ssd is back to overclokers...and wayting for replacement......I'm a very desapointed,

Eduardo Niebla

http://www.eduardoniebla.com www.eduardoniebla.com

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I also bought 4 month ago a 25X-E 32G (50 nanos). I was running Ubuntu 9.04. After a spurious failure ( I don't know if an automatic upgrade spilled the Boot Loader - GRUB-) I decided to install firmware 045C8850 and install clean, Ubuntu 9.10. For more than 1 month the drive ran to specs. Yesterday it got a hit : Drive error. I recovered with fsck. That luck did'nt last. Two boots after the BIOS was just showing à 8 MB drive. Now it is definitely gone. It does'nt show up either in bios or with the firmware update pgm. I am happy I am not alone! I have just to négociate a RMA.