cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

> Hardly a thread, more like a holding statement if I'm looking at the right post '/message/131623# 131623 SSD power loss report updates' (wouldn't a link to the referred post have been a good idea ?)

Rgds,

Alan

Intel NVM Solutions Group

Alan abbreviated "Regards" to "Rgds"... which leads me to believe "NVM" is nevermind? Intel nevermind solutions group. Ergo, back burner. Wonder if this is a joke.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

NVM stands for Non-Volatile Memory, as in the kind of memory that is in SSD drives.

My second 320 is still working at this time. Its really odd, as it was from the same supplier and made on the same day as the one that failed on me in less than 12 hours.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

> NVM stands for Non-Volatile Memory, as in the kind of memory that is in SSD drives.

Had the same happening to me. Seems pretty volatile for me...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

PZ_BO
New Contributor

I just discovered that thread today, and wanted to bring my own very happy experience with Intel SSDs.

After a couple of years of delight with the G2 Postville 160GB on MacPros under various versions of OSX, I decided to purchase the 320 series, as soon as they became available on the market. The raisons for this choice were: writing speed, capacity and design, as well as my experience with the ease of use of the ISO-based Firmware Update from Intel on the G2 Postville SSDs early this year.

I have been using 5x320 series (2x600GB, and 2x300GB) as well as 2xG2 Postville 160GB in my 2 MacPros (2008 and 2010, both using single drive as well as Raid0 dual and quatro drives), and a 320-600GB in my MacBook Pro 17" (early 2009) for the last 3 (three) months. Those 3 Macs are running OSX 10.6.8 with Trim Enabler 1.2 since a couple of weeks. They were running 10.6.7 withe Trim Enabler 1.1 before, with the same SSDs setup.

Additionally, I am using 3x320 160GB for various tasks, both internally and externally to the Macs.

I have had not a single problem with all those setups since the very beginning, and of course I hope it will just continue like this.

(May be Intel SSDs are in love with Mac OSX ?)

paulzeb