cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wanted to buy myself an Intel 320 (120GB) today, but after reading this thread, I'm really hesitating. Are these cases of buggy 320s only outliners or is it a real common occurence? Would you recommend waiting to buy one of these until the problem is solved (through a new firmware)?

Greetz

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dazzle,

I would wait. I have plenty of SSDs, including an OCZ Vertex 2, a couple with the Indilinx controller, and even a couple of Intel X25-V 40GB SSDs on various notebook PCs and those of various family members. But they have all required firmware updates, including semi-emergency ones, even late in their lifespans. For my main PC, I use a Samsung spinning drive. It is very reliable, and I don't boot it up much anyway but leave it on 24/7. If you have Superfetch enabled, you get fast enough access times (Win7 for me), and the SSD won't gain you much except an occassional emergency reformatting.

Someday, but not now.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@JimF: Thanks for the advice!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, even intel is not perfect, I trully think they rushed to release the drives and they're just testing the waters...until they piss off the wrong people.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am just learning this. Now I have two issues keeping me from putting my HP systems in producion. When is Intel going to release a new firmware that will resolve the thermal and data loss issues? Who knows, but I can guarantee I will not be purchacing any more Intel SSDs and am seriously looking at AMD based systems in the future.