cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's just like every other bloodsucking corporation, once they are on the top they do whatever they feel like, at the expense of the consumer, I just hope this farse is over with fast and the S@# $ will hit the fan at the right time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same here. My drive lasted 15 hours or so. Then I read this thread. Tried many things and couldn't revive it.

What finally worked was Parted Magic -> Erase Disk -> Secure Erase

Since I intended to use it only for my operating systems I'm now having a good backup solution in place which enables me to restore the system pretty fast. After all, it's only 160 GB so just enough for OS and programs. 😉

PS: Mine was down to 6MB, though. But I guess it's close enough to call it the "8MB bug". SMART attributes could not be read etc.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I usin my Intel 320 160gb(on a pc: Intel 980X with a Asus rampage III formula motherboard) and no problems yet, I got the drive in april(20 or 21).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Posting that 'it hasn't happened to me' is entirely pointless. This 8MB problem does not affect the vast majority of users, and nobody is claiming it does. So the fact that there are thousands of people happily using their 320 is not of any interest whatsoever.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As an owner of a 600gb intel series ssd. I am concerned that I have the bug but anyone that post the ssd is good and has no problems is a worthwhile poster. I use a mac pro I use an ups I run my machine 24/7 with mac osx 10.6.8 If people report working ssds and people report dead ones a pattern could show up maybe windows 7 with a quad cpu is the common link along with rapid power up and power down cycles. IMO listing working ssds can help find a pattern of cause and effect. It would be nice to know that no mac osx die this way or no pc c2d cpus die this way or the bug is on only quad intel cpus etc.