Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel(r) SSD Toolbox is ready to go!

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey everyone,

Good news (just in time for the holidays)! We have released the new version of the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox (version 1.2) which fixes the issue with the Intel® SSD Optimizer.

rgds,

Alan

Intel NSG Marketing Division

74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I've also had the same problem with Intel Toolbox 1.2 on 32 bit XP, ie. i've got the message saying that i had shadow copies (while i didn't have them obviously).

Now i've found the reason for the problem, it occurs with non-English Windows XP (localized versions).

Intel toolbox calls "vssadmin.exe" from \system32 (32bit xp case) and issues "vssadmin list shadow" command and waits for resposne "No shadow copies" in the textual output... However, if you're running a localized windows (in my case - Hungarian, but German would be also problematic) vssadmin will not return this message in English, but in the local language, so the Intel Toolbox will think that there are shadow copies exist on your system because the expected string is not found in the output.

As a workarount, i've grabbed a hex editor and edited the string table at near the end of vssadmin.exe and replaced the Hungarian message to the English equivalent: "No shadow copies". The original version was longer, so i've just replaced the rest of the letters with spaces.

After this, the toolbox ran fine and i have sucessfully optimized my drive.

You could probably also get a vssadmin.exe from an English XP and overwrite your one, at least temporarily, before running the toolbox.

Good luck!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, I need to try this!! Congrats for sorting out the problem

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It worked!

Btw, I had to use a tool called WFPDeprotect to disable the Windows File Protection in order to modify vssadmin.exe.

SDD Toolbox ran the optimization routine for just a few seconds. Is this normal? Afterwards, I didn't appreciate any noticeable change in speed, but I'm glad it finally worked.

Thanks again GSzabo!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

marvelous! thank you!!! please, is there anybody out there who could provide us with the english 'vssadmin.exe' (win xp 32-bit), i. e. via rapidshare?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm glad that it worked.

Btw, i think in some cases it's pretty normal for it to succeed very quickly. Afaik it depends on many things, like the number of restore points you have, the amount of free space you have, etc.

Mine also finishes in a few seconds (like 2-4 seconds or so). The performance gain may not be evident in the first time, probably depending on the internal fragmentation of the SSD, but i think i can feel it, mine was two months old, but it has already slowed down a little bit.

About the safety of this method: Since we only "fix the communication" between the ToolBox and vssadmin.exe, we cannot really make anything wrong here, because we don't override any safety mechanism with this "hack".