Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel(r) SSD Toolbox is ready to go!

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey everyone,

Good news (just in time for the holidays)! We have released the new version of the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox (version 1.2) which fixes the issue with the Intel® SSD Optimizer.

rgds,

Alan

Intel NSG Marketing Division

74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm: I understand there is no trim available for Mac users. But isn't the point of the toolbox to speed up the drive like factory spec? Right now my sequential read speed is down to 180 versus the advertised 250.

I figured after I run the optimizer tool when the whole drive is NTFS, then rewipe everything and reinstall Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (in the respective order).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

mecoolai,

Re-installing and re-wiping the drive is not going to help your speeds if you don't understand what you doing. The SSD toolbox does not optimize the drive, it optimizes the partition on which is run. Therefore, it will optimize your WIN 7 partition. There is nothing you can do about your MAC partition. Period.

Is the sequential read score you are giving on the WIN 7 side or MAC?. If it is on the WIN7 side, then run the Optimizer in WIN 7. If the sequential speed is on the MAC side, then there is nothing you can do but do a secure-erase for the whole drive and re-install. Also, remember that sequential read speed is for the partition, not for the drive. So i would expect the sequential read scores to be different in WIN7 and MAC.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alan,

I don't see anywhere in the Readme that running the Toolbox for TRIM is not required when in AHCI using Windows 7 and msahci default Microsoft driver. Shouldn't there be some guidance to the user about that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Question: Does the toolbox run on Mac? The download says it's "OS independent" but all the instructions seem to be Windows-only.

Can I run this tool from within VirtualBox or another virtual machine? Can I run it from a Bootcamp Windows install (I don't have one yet but this might just make me install Windows)?

thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The Toolbox won't run on Macs. The firmware update is OS independent, but not Toolbox.

Nor can you install Toolbox in a Bootcamp Windows partition and apply it to a Mac Formatted SSD on the computer.

What you can do (I have done) is:-

1. Install Toolbox on a Bootcamp Windows partition.

2. Clone your Mac OS on the SSD to an external

3. Format the SSD to NTFS

4. Run Toolbox on the SSD from Bootcamp Windows.

5. Clone your Mac OS back to the SSD.

Pretty clunky and horrible but does do the job. But not actually as bad as it reads when you are familiar with the steps.

My X25-M G2 80 Gb random write performance had dropped to 40% of new, and recovered.