cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 freezes on MacBook Pro/Mac OS X Snow Leopard

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I installed an Intel 520 SSD (240GB) in my MacBook Pro yesterday. After reinstalling the system, I moved my datas.

I encounter freezes! A few seconds freezes/hangs. Quite often actually.

It seems a bit random but it is really annoying! The whole computer is frozen.

I noticed it happens more often when a lots of datas are going in and out. Browsing the web doesn't do much things. Copying a file from a disk image (DMG) to desktop, it freezes… sometimes.

The SSD has the 400i firmware. I installed the drive in the HHD bay. Negotiated Link Speed is 6 Gigabit. MacBook Pro EFI is up-to-date. Software is up-to-date.

I haven't activated the "Trim Enabler" software (Mac OS X doesn't manage for 3rd party drives).

I cannot run the SSD Toolbox from my Mac. I'll try to install Windows and see if it hangs up.

Have you heard about these problems? What can I do? I don't want to keep a drive behaving like this!

Thanks for your help,

36 REPLIES 36

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In my case, it freezes a couple of times in an hour. When SSD is busy, it freezes even every 5 minutes

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had the same problem, did this and it's fixed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have been in contact with Intel and they claim that the issue is most likely the SATA cable, which has been reported to have troubles supporting SATA-III speeds due to noise. It is a well-known problem with eg. 13" early 2011 MBP (in general most machines from february/march 2011) - ask google. You might have luck contacting Apple to have the cable replaced, but dunno.

I have tried unplugging and reinstalling the SSD making sure everything was tightly connected and this seems to have helped on the freezes (no freezes since reboot but only 30 min and counting), supporting the cable being the cause.

I will be back with status on the fix later.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 and I do have the issues as well. Is there any way to force the disk/OS to use 3gbps link speed? Just to confirm the speed is an issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Not according to Intel, unfortunately