cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 510 SSD Seen as 3Gbs Drive

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just built a system on an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard that includes two Intel 510 256Gb drives. One is drive C and the other is drive D on ports 0 and 1 respectively of the Intel controller. I am not using the Marvell controller. I was dissapointed in the Primary Drive WEI score so I opened the Intel RST Management panel and noticed the C drive is reporting a SATA Transfer Rate of 3Gbs while the D drive is reporting a 6Gbs transfer rate. The only difference between the two drives is the C drive is running the PWG2 firmware while the other one is running the PWG4 firmware. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be holding this drive back?

60 REPLIES 60

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ianpugh,

Correct I'm using two Intel SSD (510 series 250GB) running on a RAID 0 and checking Intel Rapid Storage tool (I do have it installed) I can see that Port 0 drive is being detected as 6gb/s and Port 1 at 3gb/s.

Both discs are running PWG4 Firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Xeneize ... I had hoped you had two different firmwares because that may have helped isolate where the problem was.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How in the world can the support person say it's the "mother board controller", and not Intel's problem when you are using IRST on an Intel chipset, which is the mother board controller? What else is he referring to as a mother board controller? The BIOS? The Option ROM? That makes no sense to me.

FWIW, I have IRST intalled on a P67 mother board, running in AHCI mode with two different SSDs, both 6Gb/s capable, and they both have always been shown as 6Gb/s. One of the SSDs is a 510, the other a Crucial m4. Perhaps this only happens in RAID mode?

Have you guys compared versions of IRST that you are using? There are quite a few versions floating around out there, but changing versions with an existing RAID array is not simple. Sorry I don't have more information for you, good luck with this issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello! I recently built up a system with Asus P8Z68V-Pro board+ I5-2500K processor and 510 SSD for OS WIN7Homex64 . SSD is connected to 2nd Intel Sata 6GBps port and 1st port is empty (I didn't notice the port order until after installation, lazy to change it ). (WB 1TB is connected to 4th Intel Sata-port).

I noticed this above mentioned issue, dropping to 3GBps speed after recovering from the sleep mode. I then made soft boot (reset), no help. Only couple of hard boots (power on/off) helped. I haven't checked in few days if this issue is still on. But I will check it now when returning home today.

PS. Firmware version is PPG4. RST driver version is 10.6.0.1002 (latest from the Asus), chipset 9.2.0.1021.

Might try new chipset drivers http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=20208 9.2.2.1031 released recently.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree. His or her obsolving Intel make no sense.

I do not have a RAID and am running in AHCI mode using RST 10.6.0.1022.