cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 510 SSD Seen as 3Gbs Drive

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just built a system on an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard that includes two Intel 510 256Gb drives. One is drive C and the other is drive D on ports 0 and 1 respectively of the Intel controller. I am not using the Marvell controller. I was dissapointed in the Primary Drive WEI score so I opened the Intel RST Management panel and noticed the C drive is reporting a SATA Transfer Rate of 3Gbs while the D drive is reporting a 6Gbs transfer rate. The only difference between the two drives is the C drive is running the PWG2 firmware while the other one is running the PWG4 firmware. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be holding this drive back?

60 REPLIES 60

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Another possibility.... what storage driver is being loaded while in SATA 3Gb/s mode? How about SATA 6Gb/s mode?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion which is 1000% times more help than I've had from Intel so far.

I looked at both the drives' and the SATA controller's drivers and they're the same both at 6gb/s and 3gb/s.

It seems a ridiculous situation where I have 2 Intel drives connected to an Intel SATA controller and they're trying their best to say it's not their problem. I also clearly asked both of the Intel representatives about the speed differences even when the drives are at 6gb/s. In my case this is 430mb/s on one drive and 370mb/s on the the other when both at 6gb/s but I could not get even an acknowledgement that this was something that needed addressing. Maybe it was a language barrier?

If anyone is reading this out there and thinking about connecting an Intel SSD to a non-Intel motherboard then my advice is don't do it. They won't offer any support if it doesn't work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As far as I can tell there are no driver differences between the two drives whatsoever. Thanks for the suggestion though.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Acctually after reading this whole thread it seems as if i'm having a similar issue with my Intel 510 250 Raid 0 (I posted low performance on a different thread), after checking the drives one of the drives reports 6 GB/s and the other 3 GB/s, naturally it seems that the RAID is a 3 GB raid...

Tech Support is blaiming it on my motherboard controller. I doubt that's the case, to me it seems more of either a firmware issue or a driver issue.

Hoping you all can shed some light.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Xeneize,

I'm not familair with RAID but does it mean you have 2 Intel SSDs and one reports 6gb/s and the other 3gb/s? If this is the case have you tried seeing when this happens? The problem I (and Bannon) have been experiencing is that a restart makes one or both drives run at 3gb/s and a boot from cold makes them go back to 6gb/s. Does this happen with yours? Also, what motherboard do you have? Finally, do you have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology tool installed and if so, what does it say the firmware version of the drives is?

Maybe if enough of us have the same problem then they might look into it.

Oops - should have read your earlier thread first. You do have 2 drives and you do have the RST tool installed. Can you check if the cold vs warm boot makes a difference and what firmware each drive has according to the RST tool?

Message was edited by: ianpugh