cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use SSD Toolbox on my X25-M ??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have just setup my new computer with Win7 installed on a WD Velociraptor 300GB and an intel SSD X25-M 160GB where I installed Flight Simulator. When I first launched Windows 7, it did not show my SSD in "My Computer" and I had to go to "Disk Management" to select the SSD Drive and "activated" it in NTFS. Now everything seems fine.

Now, I wanted to instal the SSD Toolbox to optimize my drive. In the bios, all SATA drives are set with IDE. Unfortunately, when I launcg the SSD Toolbox, it says that the SSD drive is not compatible with the tool..... what's going on ?

Thank you

Greg

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I kind of found the answer.... The time FSX took 30 seconds to load was probaby due to the fact that I launched it straight after Win7 desktop showed up... If I let Win7 load all components for let's say 15-20 seconds, FSX starts in less than 10 seconds.... could be an explanation right ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that is in fact an excellent explanation. It's also the reason most people use their SSDs as a boot drive: The time between the desktop appearing and the system becoming fully responsive is drastically shortened due to the much higher performance of SSDs. Applications start much faster overall, and the system responds to the user almost immediately after boot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Now, since I have just created the SSD drive through the Win7 disk Management in a standard NTFS procedure, does Win7 indeed recognize that the drive is SSD and do I really get all advantage of such in Win7 ? thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The advantage of an SSD drive is raw speed. My personal opinion: If you want the full advantage of an SSD drive, it should be your system drive, not a secondary drive.

Will Win7 recognize it as an SSD and turn off defrag for it? Initial results vary - "not always" seems to be the consensus. Definitely disable the automatic defrag schedule for that drive. Superfetch and such can stay on while your VR is your boot drive. If / when you switch to the SSD as your boot drive, make sure Superfetch and its ilk are turned off as well. Win7 is supposed to do that for you - as I said, your mileage on that may vary.