cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The power of the internet. Posted on Amazon and Newegg. Newegg one must be reviewed. Amazon didn't have a problem...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/product-reviews/B004T0DNI8/ref=cm_cr_p... Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Intel 320 Series 300 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive

One more...here is Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167071&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=1... scrollFullInfo Newegg.com - Intel 320 Series SSDSA2BW300G301 2.5&# 34; 300GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive &# 40;SSD&# 41; - Internal SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For those that are interested, my 320 SSD went 8MB yesterday (but not with the "bad context" serial number) following a sudden power-loss. The firmware labeled on the drive itself is newer than what is shown as shipping with the tools: 4PC10365.

This disk shipped with a new HP computer, by the way. They're replacing it, of course, but after reading all of this stuff, I'm a little gobsmacked that such an apparently problematic device issue hasn't been addressed. I've been buying drives for years and years and years, and I've only ever had two disk failures, both of which were in concert with physical injury.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wish I had read this thread before. My 320 crashed yesterday: Windows explorer stuck while browsing files, the computer didn't freeze at once but all programs were unable to access disk and eventually crashed. When I rebooted (had reset) the computer, MBR was still funtional but the Windows couldn't load. System restore claimed there was no space on the drive left. I hooked up the drive to a USB-frame and tried to format it using Ubuntu. Lots of I/O errors occurred. Eventually I was able to format the drive but only about 70% of the original capacity.

This is the second SSD I had and both of them had SandForce-controller. My next one will be Samsung without SandForce, I'm tired of restoring my system from a disk failure. "Improved speed and reliability" on the boxes for these things isn't justified. Or they are comparing to some really hazardous prototype they had..

Oh. And by the way: the Intel SSD Toolbox claimed the drive health was almost 100% just days before the crash. Nice..

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If it makes you feel any better, my drive is reporting 100% health AFTER such a crash. I am now doing full system backups nightly and babying the system until the replacement drive gets here.

I was able to recover the disk not using Intel's tools (I had no available install of Windows available), but using an Ubuntu live CD and a method I found online. The drive formatted to 100% of capacity (or, you know, the normal amount a drive will format to, minus the overhead)-- or.. well, hmm. My 160 GB drive formatted to 127 GB.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I recall the partition was originally 129GB but now I can not successfully make a partition larger than 100GB. Your drive might be missing few gigabytes, does it run through bad sector check nicely? Luckily I run Norton Ghost every day automatically so I didn't lose much data but I won't trust the drive to function properly any more so I have the original non-SSD drive in use until the new one arrives: I ordered Samsung 830 series 256GB drive to replace the broken one and I'll have it returned to the store. Kind of funny, Intel has been one of the most trustworthy brands that I know. Well, I'm not buying another Intel branded SSD-disk, enough said.