cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Detlef Mueller wrote:

I deployed eight or nine 320 series SSDs back in july/august '11. All were updateted to the 362 firmware. At this time three of these have failed, all during the last three weeks:

1. 320 120GB retail, broke two days ago. Was installed in a HP laptop running XPx86sp3. Drives showes excessive End-To-End errors in the SMART status and won't boot the OS. Data could be taken off altho the drive was reluctant to give it up. RMA was approved w/o hassle.

2. 320 40GB retail, bricked about three weeks ago. Serial BAD_CTX 0000013F. Was installed in an older P4 desktop running XPx86sp3. The machine was running 24/7 unattended w/ very little disk activity.

3. 320 120GB OEM, bricked about two weeks ago. Serial BAD_CTX 00000130 Was installed in a Shuttle Intel based system running W7U64sp1. The machine was running 24/7 unattended w/ very little disk activity.

No. 2 and 3 disks were restored w/ the secure erase feature of the SSD Toolbox (3.0.1). There was no apparent reason why the disks bricked, both machines are on UPSs and have new PSUs. All powersaving was turned off. As of now I don't know what I'm going to do with these...

FWIIW, since that message I had two more 320 drives go south on me (8MB bug.) Both are 80G drives (one retail, one OEM), both had XP x86 installed on them, very different hardware tho (one C2Q 775, one P4 system.) Both drives were reanimated using the SSD Toolbox (3.0.3) The only thing common in all 4 bricks I can see is that these systems were running more than 24hrs between reboots on average. I have two 320 SSDs left that haven't bricked so far, both are installed into systems that only run for a few hours per day. (Actually I just replaced one of those disks w/ a 520, hoping that it will be more reliable.)

From my experience with the 320 drives -- STAY AWAY !! Your system will brick, it's just a matter of time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Add me to the list. Installed a 300 GB 320 into a DELL Latitude D620 about two months ago, updated to the latest firmware on the same day. Got a blue screen yesterday, and after the restart, it shows a size of 8 MB, all zeros. Running the firmware update tool shows that it's indeed fully updated.

So this issue is definitely not fixed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like there are still no official responses....

My case: had 320 ssd half yr ago, bricked once after using 2 months, fixed with complete restore and new firmware. Yesterday it happened again. Using a mac so don't have any info for the failure, however I believe it's the same issue as it's on a pc.

Was really enjoy using it but the bug is fatal, I hope Intel can do something about it, like a big company suppose to.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yesterday my 320 ssd died on my the second time, with updated firmware of course!

I'm switching brands now. Will sell the replacement 320 on ebay.

I will avoid Intel products in the future.

A problem with a product can happen to any company, but the way Intel has handled this affair has convinced me not to trust them with my business anymore.

Too bad they have a virtual monopoly on some products. Well, maybe that is part of the problem...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What?! are you guys serious?!!

I am gonna return my SSD immediately tomorrow, just bought it cuz boxing day. I rather use HDD in case like this.