cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/13 Update on "Bad Context 13x Error" for Intel SSD 320 Series

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel has reproduced, identified root cause, and developed a firmware update which addresses the Bad Context 13x Error being discussed on the Communities site and elsewhere.

Response plan:

The new firmware update is in final validation testing and is targeted for release on Intel® Communities within the next two weeks. Intel takes firmware updates and issues of reliability very seriously and is taking extra steps to support a smooth release. We appreciate your patience.

What should I do if I have not experienced this issue?

To minimize occurrence, if a system requires a shut down, Intel recommends using that system's standard power shut down sequence. As with any storage device, Intel recommends users frequently back up their data. Download and install the new firmware when it is available. As with our previous firmware updates, a secure erase is not required.

What should I do if I have experienced this issue?

If you have already experienced a drive failure or encounter this problem before the firmware update is released, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) for an SSD replacement. An alternative option is to use the Intel ® SSD Toolbox or similar tools to perform a secure erase in order to restore the SSD to an operational state; all data will be erased. After secure erase, update your SSD with the upcoming firmware. The pending firmware update will not recover user data.

Background:

For users unfamiliar with the issue, an Intel SSD 320 Series drive may exhibit a drive capacity of 8MB and an electronic serial # field containing a message of "BAD_CTX 0000013x" due to an unexpected power loss under specific conditions. Once this error occurs, no data on the SSD can be accessed and the user cannot write to or read from the SSD.

Rgds,

Scott

Intel Corporation

177 REPLIES 177

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

//UPDATE.... INTEL has been in contact with me directly and they are working on the issue...

Good. Then they could issue an open statement. Until they do - I'm sorry, I dont give much about what some PR guy said to some forum user in an email - as well intentioned as it might have been. It doesn't count as far as customer relationship criteria are applied. Acknowledging that a patch was released prematurely and had no, or a reverse effect is still a major step up from that and so far Intel hasn't issued an official statement, and to my knowledge hasn't responded to the query of the mentioned german news source.

-

@fuzzycz: Your assessment of the situation is wrong again. Broadening the point of view as far as SSD reliability is concerned has no effect on this case. As far as individual buying decisions go, they should be effected by this. Even without the problem at hand Intel had almost no competitive advantage over other SSD brands, in many cases they even are trailing behind. In knlowledge of the present problem, and Intels Consumer Service history so far, I would strongly advice against buying this model right now. Go with other brands. They are (more) competitive.

All we have from Intel is a now twice broken promise of reliability and product quality - as well as a "keep it quiet" policy when it comes to official, or press statements.

Well, we also have a vague promise, that they are "looking at the problem" - isn't that cosy...

ZStan
New Contributor II

@ harlekin

come on...............

german site used this forum as a source, and you can not know if one or two failure is firmware bug related.........

as far we know most SSD problems could be seen as 8MB "bug" even if they are not releted to just firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

One did - the other major one has asked Intel for a statement, as far as I know to no avail.

With the 8MB Bug we are talking about a reproducable error, that renders the device useless. Reproduceable is the key. Wheather it is chip or firmware related, I honestly don't care.

And I'm certainly not willing to accept a "general failure rate" as an excuse for this bug. Nor am I accepting it for a faulty product. My logic is sound.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow. Wooow. Now we had to broaden the point of view even more to find enough possible errors to try to justify this one... Flawed thinking can't be compensated by more of the same - maybe fanboi, maybe someone with a tendecy to take things personal.

In either case, someone who has more interest in painting a corporate response mechanism as "something that has feelings too" and even is willing to accept a little fault here and there, even if it renders a product he bought useless. Religious maybe?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's enough to point out the faulty logic, people will get it. Little need to get personal beyond that. Back to topic.

In the other thread s/o just posted that Intel is asking users which were bit by the bug after updating to send their drives in - allegedly to analyse them. Hard to know though - as there still is no official response in this case. PR, do your job already...

edit: Sorry, it seems to have been an old response my email notifier decided to pull up again... Have missed it before though.