cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/13 Update on "Bad Context 13x Error" for Intel SSD 320 Series

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel has reproduced, identified root cause, and developed a firmware update which addresses the Bad Context 13x Error being discussed on the Communities site and elsewhere.

Response plan:

The new firmware update is in final validation testing and is targeted for release on Intel® Communities within the next two weeks. Intel takes firmware updates and issues of reliability very seriously and is taking extra steps to support a smooth release. We appreciate your patience.

What should I do if I have not experienced this issue?

To minimize occurrence, if a system requires a shut down, Intel recommends using that system's standard power shut down sequence. As with any storage device, Intel recommends users frequently back up their data. Download and install the new firmware when it is available. As with our previous firmware updates, a secure erase is not required.

What should I do if I have experienced this issue?

If you have already experienced a drive failure or encounter this problem before the firmware update is released, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) for an SSD replacement. An alternative option is to use the Intel ® SSD Toolbox or similar tools to perform a secure erase in order to restore the SSD to an operational state; all data will be erased. After secure erase, update your SSD with the upcoming firmware. The pending firmware update will not recover user data.

Background:

For users unfamiliar with the issue, an Intel SSD 320 Series drive may exhibit a drive capacity of 8MB and an electronic serial # field containing a message of "BAD_CTX 0000013x" due to an unexpected power loss under specific conditions. Once this error occurs, no data on the SSD can be accessed and the user cannot write to or read from the SSD.

Rgds,

Scott

Intel Corporation

177 REPLIES 177

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dears

just so you know as the first person to report the "Issue" post UPDATE.... INTEL has been in contact with me directly and they are working on the issue... so I guess all you guys reporting that they will just ignore the issue are way off the mark..

I have had 2 Drives go on me with the issue... Things happen ... I am just happy that we will get this fixed one way or another if it takes 3 or 4 attempts Its not an issue... as this has now helped me to focus on my backup and Information Management

I know do weekly backups and use a combination of DropBox / Sugar Sync to provide instant off site recovery...

So worse case I can reconstruct upto 2 mins ago in about 90 mins... if I had not had the issue with the first drive I would never have put this in place

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Tell intel talk is cheap, our $$$ is still in their pockets up to this moment and sold us crappy hardware, in this day and age with all this technology and we still have to deal with this crap.

God help us if one of those 8M glitches happens up in space with NASA, or during a national emergency, what will intel say then..."oh we are aware of the problem and working on it" meanwhile sit tight until we find a solution...hoookay, I rest my case.

Quote me on that mr. fanboy.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

sogersortep wrote:

Tell intel talk is cheap, our $$$ is still in their pockets up to this moment and sold us crappy hardware, in this day and age with all this technology and we still have to deal with this crap.

God help us if one of those 8M glitches happens up in space with NASA, or during a national emergency, what will intel say then..."oh we are aware of the problem and working on it" meanwhile sit tight until we find a solution...hoookay, I rest my case.

Quote me on that mr. fanboy.

God help us if you ever work for NASA and think that putting version 1.0 of any consumer product purchased at Best Buy is a good idea to put into anything that goes into space... You have been quoted

As for your other complaint about "this day and age with all of this technology...", I assume you have noticed the issues with the Ipads and 3g on verizon and wifi issues? Any android phone and some sort of battery life issue? Touch screen phones and their light bleeding issues? Xoom tablet and the SD reader issue? Seagate hybrid drives and their APM issue?

All hardware "in this day and age" requires firmware upgrades to fix issues. All software, including operating syatems require periodic patches, security patches, and revisions to deal with issues. This is no different. It happens to every technology.... these days.

I am not an intel fanboy or an apologist for them. When I get my replacement drive, it will most likely sit on my desk until this issue is resolved. Hopefully it will happen soon and no other issues arise.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's the world according to you :"hey I don't mind buying faulty & defective electronics, as long as they work just enough to make me happy who cares, besides I don't really mind putting my $$$ in somebody's pocket who wants to sucker me"

You'll go far dude, you're either a con man / sociopath or still living at home with mommy, either way you seem to have no idea how the world works, let me know when you start paying taxes and get a real job, conversing with you will be a lot more interesting to say the least...happy trails.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have had a similar experience as NoBackUp. About an hour after I had posted to this meesage board that I had an issue with the firmware upgrade, I had a PM from Intel. Another hour later, someone from Intel personally called me and discussed my issue. They are sending me a new drive and I am sending them mine so they can use it to diagnose the issue.

Point is, they are watching this message board and are actively looking at the issue.