cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 Recovery from dead HHD onto new SSD535

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Trying to install Win7 from Dell Recovery & Restore stick onto SSD535 240GB. Is this even possible?

Have run every test successfully in SSD Toolbox 3.3.6. Formatted, partitions created and displays in Computer as D with partition sizes displayed correctly. Unpluged spare HHD which has successfully accepted install from stick but even though SSD shows in boot selection (F12) screen, no matter of prodding will install fresh OS from stick (booted OK). Fails with different errors as I try different BIOS settings (ATA or AHCI). Have updated drivers and firmware.

Unfortunately HHD crashed (can't clone) and factory OS install disk is missing.

Been a week and have project to complete. Please advise.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Chowdad,

Thanks for posting in our forum.We would like to know what model of system do you have, also if you could provide the BIOS version installed in the system as well.You need to make sure the BIOS is setup as AHCI and maybe try to check if you can select either legacy or UEFI mode.Please let us know so we can research deeper about this situation.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Information requested:

Dell Inspiron 580S

Service Tag: CZKLMM1

Core i5 3.20GHz (x4)

4GB Ram DDR3 1333MHz

Win7 Home Prem 64 bit, SP1

BIOS Version: A07 dated 11/13/2010

I have tried AHCI but does not boot. I have not seen UEFI or legacy mode listed.

Chowdad

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Chowdad,

Thanks for the information provided, we would like to research on this and we will try to replicate the situation in our lab.We will keep you posted.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SITREP Update:

Step 1: I borrowed a known good HDD and performed a clean install successfully from recovery stick provided by Dell and updated drivers. That proves the media provided is OK and the Dell process works on a third party HDD.

Step 2: Using Seagate Disk Wizard I successfully cloned a larger capacity Seagate HDD which confirmed that process.

Step 3: I then cloned the image from the Seagate onto the Intel SSD; shut down, removed the Seagate HDD and booted successfully from the SSD. Success! I checked status in Intel Toolbox and only needed to tweak system tuner to change Super-fetch setting.

Local MS tech proven wrong--Intel SSD is NOT faulty as alleged.

Still yet to resolve is why I could not load OS from Recovery stick directly onto Intel SSD; and why system boots and operates on ATA mode instead of AHCI.

Chowdad