cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my intel 750 ssd so slow?

FKriv
New Contributor II

Im not sure where I went wrong.

I updated my asus x99 bios to the latest version. I installed the 750 pci ssd which my bios was able to find and I was able to install windows onto.Once windows was installed (windows 8.1) and installed latest intel drivers, I ran crystalDiskMark to check out the speeds and got an abysmal benchmark of 300 read write speeds or less.

I reread instructions and tried to find more information. I went into bios and switched a setting in in boot CMS to "UEFI boot only".

I have a few samsung evo cards that get much better benchmark scores and I am just confused why my new ssd isnt getting much better scores.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible I installed windows onto the drive with incorrect settings and that is the cause

9 REPLIES 9

FKriv
New Contributor II

I have:

windows 8.1 pro

Assus X99 delux 3.1

32 gigs of ram

gtx 980

FKriv
New Contributor II

Update:

Talked to tech support for my motherboard to see if they could help diagnose the problem and did not get anywhere ultimately.

They had me run BurnIn Test from passmark and I passed that test with no errors.

System summery:

Windows 8.1 pro

Intel i7-5820K @3.3ghz

32 gb ram

Geforce gtx 980

Program then lists my hard drives as:

2 x 466 SSD (840 evo), 2 x 932gb SSD (850 evo), 373GB HDD (the last drive being the intel 750 pcie card ssd)

Is it possible that booting windows on this card is causing the problem?

My CPU has 24 lanes, video card uses 16 lanes, and new 750 card uses 4 lanes. The tech suggested that I might need a cpu with 40 lanes which I find hard to believe. I dont have anything else connected to my pci slots.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Smokin32,

Please review the following recommendations in order to address the most common causes for performance issues with the Intel® SSD 750 Series:

1. Make sure you are using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-PCIe-... Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Family for PCIe Drivers, the current version is 1.2.0.1002. The Inbox driver from Windows will let you use the drive, but the performance difference is noticeable. Here is a picture of how the Intel NVMe SSD driver should look in Device Manager:

2. The PCIe link speed and bandwidth may not be the ones recommended for the Intel® SSD 750.

This drive requires PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 (four lanes) to operate according to specifications. Checking the http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99DELUXEU31/specifications/ Asus* X99-DELUXE/U3.1 Specifications when you have a 28-Lane CPU some PCIe slots will work as PCIe 2.0. Please make sure the SSD is connected to a PCIe 3.0 x4 or higher

If you use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox (version 3.3.0 or later), you can see this information in the details for a specific drive. Remember that if you have multiple Intel SSD's in the system, then you must choose the specific drive you want to look at. You can use the Export function to show data for the drive that is currently selected in the Toolbox.

Here is a picture to how the exported details will look for a drive operating with the proper specifications:

FKriv
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply and images, they really help!

I have the latest drivers/controllers installed! But my PCIe link speed is = 0x2 and negotiates PCIe link width is = 0x1. I guess I need to find a better PCIe slot or flip the right switch on mother board or something. Im happy to know where to go to fix the problem now, thank you.