cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 545s SMART errors

Phoenix
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with the 10 pieces of SSD's that 'm using.

the SSD' are Intel 545s 256GB.

I'm getting the following error after fully long initialising the SSD using Dell IDrac9.

On the Idrac9 dashboard all seems to be OK , but the errors are on Freenas:

Feb 14 18:06:20 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Feb 14 18:06:20 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

Feb 14 18:06:21 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da12 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Feb 14 18:06:21 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da12 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da13 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da13 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

Feb 14 18:06:22 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da10 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Feb 14 18:06:23 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da10 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

Feb 14 18:06:23 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da9 [SAT], FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

Feb 14 18:06:24 VNAS smartd[7531]: Device: /dev/da9 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

I have tried full initialisation and Clear (Who takes around 30 mins) using IDRAC9

Also Cryptographic erase.

I keep getting the errors in Freenas (FreeBSD) linux distro.

Please advice, Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Phoenix
New Contributor

Another thing I forget to mention is, the SSD's are very new, so it less reasonable that these are defective.

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, Phoenix.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the SMART errors with the Intel SSD 545s, I will be glad to assist you.

The Intel® SSD 545s Series of drives is not validated to be used in server or data center environments, and could possibly be one of the reasons why the number of  End-to-End Error count increased up to a point to generate an alert with the tool you are using.

Check the drive using the Intel SSD Toolbox, preferably using a regular desktop computer running a compatible version of Windows.

Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29205/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

With this tool you can:

• Check for firmware update
  • Run a quick or Full diagnostic
  • Check drive health
  • Check SMART report

You can export the SMART report to a file and then attach the file to this thread, that way I can take a look at the status of the drive (or drives).

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Hi Bruce,

thanks for your answer.

It’s important to mention few points.

i am using the server for personal use and the load in I/O write/read from the disks is very minimal (the server will be up only few hours a day), data write read on the intel SSD‘s have not passed even 20Gb.

i opened the disks from the original package two weeks ago.

unfortunately I don’t use Windows at all, just Linux/Unix.

i need to know how can I initialize the ssds without the smart errors.

also the information from intel I found over the internet is recommending 3rd tools that I don’t want to use, why the built in tools from Dell Idrac are not enough for that (intel is OEM manufacturer, right?)

i have other tlc based consumer ssds (crucial, Samsung, etc, and those works well)

i know that consumer ssds wear out is faster then enterprise 3D nand and so on but having the disks showing smart errors while being really new is unacceptable.

thanks on advance

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, Phoenix.

Thank you for the information.

We don't have a tool or special steps to "Initialize the SSD without the SMART errors".

In Linux you can use the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool CLI, it can be used to delete, perform a firmware update and get the SMART information from the disk:

If you are certain about the units being defective from the start and since you recently bought the drives, the best option would be to go back to the place of purchase.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel