cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 520 high activity

AVegh
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing strange behaviour of my SSD 520 (120GB) in Lenovo Thinkpad T61. The first time I realized it was running with W7: sometimes (without any presage) the disk activity highs up to 100% while 2nd drive (hdd) is idle. The drive overload usually lasts about 10-30 seconds. While it is in peak period sometimes the computer does not response for any inputs (clicking, typing) Another time it lets me to change windows, listening music etc. but cancels some other activities (loading browser pages, typing). It is very very annoying. I tried with/without factory drivers but no affect. After this I made a clean install of W8.1. The drive overload happend significantly rare, but it was still there:

• no task/process/service is running
  • disk usage is 100% for 10-30 seconds
  • often computer can't response

After the peak time, everything is good. I also tried W10 but no change. For a final attempt today morning I started the W10 installation after I removed the other HDD/ODD from the UltraBay drive preventing Windows to install any unnecessary controller drivers. And God can see my soul: the drive overload still happened exactly in the time when W10 installation was in finishing phase.

What should I do ? The drive is still under warranty (S/N: CVCV430003K3120BGN) Intel SSD Toolbox says the drive has perfect condition. Is there any other diagnostic tool ?

11 REPLIES 11

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Vegha,

How od you have this SSD connected to your PC. Is it SATA or USB? You may try the following: You also may want to take a look here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/category/ssdc/ssd-520/trblsht Troubleshooting for the Intel® SSD 520 Series

1 - Make sure all your data is secured somewhere.

2 - Check BIOS for any possible updates. If possible set it AHCI Mode.

3 - Check SATA controllers.

4 - Get the SMART details log using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox.

AVegh
New Contributor II

Hi Aleki, thank you for your answer.

1; I have no important data on the drive

2; I already upgraded the BIOS sw of the computer. SATA controller setting is AHCI mode

3; SATA contoller:

4; SMART results are:

The drive was partitioned by 50%-50%, there is far enough free space.

I also have the SMART details in export file. How can I upload it here ?

AVegh
New Contributor II

The drive is connected via internal SATA interface.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Vegha,

Could you please run the quick and full diagnostic and report back please?