cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New storage SSD not found by Win7 Pro but IRSTe and BIOS see it

DWhit32
New Contributor

Thank you for any help you can provide!!

I just built this computer (details below). Testing memory, GPU, and CPU went well.

It will be used for video capture with simultaneous acquisition and analysis in real time in a university research setting.

Write speed and volume are important, thus the 1TB SSD for storage drive.

The newest IRSTe Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise drivers were installed initially.

Once the system was up and running, the SSD (Transcend SSD370, 2.5", 1TB) was connected via second SATIII port (System drive is on first SATIII Port).

Control Panel>>Administrative Tools >>Computer Management >>Disk Management.

Drive was there. Initialized the drive. Right clicked over where it says unallocated and selected create new simple volume.

SSD Scope (Transcend SSD management) recognized the drive and Firmware was already up to date. Performance tested drive.

On reboot, drive is not found by SSD Scope.

Disk management does not see drive.

Device manager also does not see it.

I tried different cables.

Made sure "show empty drives" was selected.

Used Diskpart to clean.

AHCI is enabled.

The disc shows up in BIOS and IRSTe.

In IRTSe, drive is listed as Locked and I can not unlock as it asks for a password!

I did not set any password, only connected the new SSD.

IRTSe:

Status Locked (clicking Unlock - leads to asking for password)

Type SATA SSD

Location Controller 0 Port 1

Cache enabled..

Password protected: yes????

Command cueuing NCQ

Model TS1TSSD370

SCSI Dev ID 1

Firmware 20140516

Physical sector size 512 byte

Logical sector size 512 byte

Can anyone help me correct this situation?

Transcend says uninstall IRSTe and use native SATA drivers in windows.

Rumor has it that IRSTe is faster...?

Thank you!!

Daniel

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 Plus ATX LGA2011 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

OS drive/Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage SSD: Transcend 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB Dual-X Video Card

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

3 REPLIES 3

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Danmirage,

The purpose of setting up a password on an SSD is to avoid unauthorized access to the information on the drive. Intel has not yet designed tools to bypass or to unlock the drive without a password, however, you might want to take a look at this other thread for further information as it states a similar situation. zaq's response.

*Please understand that the workaround in this thread is not officially from Intel and thus, we are not responsible for its content and consequences if you decide to try the suggest workaround.

DWhit32
New Contributor

Thank you Aleki.

The issue is that there IS NO PASSWORD on the disk. It is new out-of-the-box.

Why did the driver say there is a password?

Why can the system not see the drive?

Why could I initialize and create a simple volume, and now cannot see it.

Transcend seemed to think that the problem was the IRSTe driver.

I just put the drive in another computer, similar build with Win7 Home premium but no IRST and the system can see it.

However, it shows as not initialized or formatted. Trying to format through Computer Management >>Disk Management results in I/O error.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Danmirage,

The management application for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology in Windows* does not have the capability to set SATA passwords, only to unlock the drive and use it if a password was set before. Security passwords are normally set from the PC BIOS.

The I/O errors you received in the other computer may indicate that the port where you connected the drive does not support SATA security passwords. Some Motherboards support SATA passwords only in the main port (port 0?), you might try connecting the hard drive to the first SATA port of the computer and check if it asks you for the password that way.

Since this is Trascend SSD, you might want to contact them and check if they have any additional suggestions or information about this matter.