cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my intel SSD 520 died. My boot system is on it. Any way to revive it? I heard a rumor that heating it in an oven might be a way. True? False?

ABlyt
New Contributor

How can I revive an Intel SSD 520 that has died. Can warming it in an oven do it as rumored? And how if so. It has my operating system on it so now my desktop is non functional.

8 REPLIES 8

ppara5
Contributor

Preheat to 350 and bake for 55 minutes. Insert a knife to test; if it comes out gooey, put it back in the oven for five more minutes.

No, I don't think so. Look in BIOS to see if the drive is seen. And try it externally mounted on another PC to see if anything can be read.

ABlyt
New Contributor

I bought an external reader and plugged it in and nothing.

Sorry, it appears that the SSD is toast. It happens eventually to SSDs and USB flash drives. Your external dock will not go to waste, however. Every time you have a problem with an SSD -- and you will -- use it to determine what the problem is.

By the way, did you use Disk Management (right-mouse on Computer, select Manage, then select Disk Management) with the external dock? If you only use Computer, you only see devices with partitions. Disk Management sees all working drives.

ABlyt
New Contributor

Thanks. I'll give that a try.