cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Web Development (Ruby on Rails etc.) bad for SSDs?

ZAlom
New Contributor

I own Intel X25-M SSD 80 Gb - Model: SSDSA2MH080G1GC and I have installed Linux Ubuntu, with all the tweaks for SSD on Ubuntu, since there is no TRIM support for this drive.

I intend to use this SSD for Web Development of Rails applications (use of GIT, HEROKU, SPORK, RSPEC etc).

So I wonder how long will it last since I am pretty heavy user; And is it recommended, anyway, to use SSD for Web Development.

I have looked and read through many forums and many comments and I am not beginner or someone who does not understand what are downsides of many Write operations on SSD or such stuff and really I don't need specification listing here as an answer (like "...you have that many writes..." and "...throughput is xyz ....", I just need plain old use cases and real experiences from users and of course I need opinions too, and good old thinking through before putting some answer on here.

Thank you very much .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

This drive does not support TRIM since it is first generation Intel® X25-M. Second generation X25-M units or newer Intel® SSDs support TRIM.

Therefore, you will probably encounter performance degradation if we consider constant writing operations to the drive. Secure erase or low level format the drive is suggested when such degradation appears.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

This drive does not support TRIM since it is first generation Intel® X25-M. Second generation X25-M units or newer Intel® SSDs support TRIM.

Therefore, you will probably encounter performance degradation if we consider constant writing operations to the drive. Secure erase or low level format the drive is suggested when such degradation appears.