cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD X25-E 32GB not working properly??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey guys,

i've got a big trouble with my awesome Intel SSD X25-E 32GB.

The SSD was for about 3 years plugged into a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge13, which supports SATA2. Everything runs fine, very awesome and reliable. I was running Linux (Gentoo x86_64).

Today my brandnew Lenovo ThinkPad X230 is delivered an i plugged the SSD into that one. From now the problems begans. The system is very slow, any LiveLinux reports the SSD is only supporting SATA1 and the Link (Controller of X230) reset the speed to SATA1. Then the system goes on, everything worked but a little bit slower. So i don't think the SSD isn't compatible with the X230, because it is recognized and working properly. The speed is the problem.

When i plugged in a SanDisk SSD SATA3 it speeds up the X230 with SATA3 and holyshit...how fast.

Return the SSD from X230 to Edge13 shows SATA2 already. In Edge13 its working properly.

What i do:

- Upgrade X230 BIOS to latest.

- Play with EFI or Legacy BIOS

- Deactivate each useless settings (TPM, AMT, Comptrace, IME, ...)

Everything brings nothing... I don't really know if the low-level-format in linux (hdparm) was working properly, so for now i just ran DBAN because found a Intel sheet.

When this also doesn't work, the i boot up a Windows7 and run the SSD Toolbox, maybe a Firmware-Update is possible...

UPDATE:

I figured out, the problem is AHCI related. In compatible-mode i got SATA2 and speed is ok - not perfect - but ok.

In AHCI it goes back to SATA1 and Linux want to reset the Link. Doesn't work...

WHO TO FIX THIS AHCI-PROB? ANY OTHER HINTS?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What chipset does the new laptop have?

What SATA driver does it use?

What OS does it have, Windows 8 I imagine?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Idk what chipset is used, but i can say no SATA-drivers or Windows 8 are used, because this Laptop comes without an OS! Second is, the problem still exists before/after the BIOS and isn't OS-related. It isn't SSD-related too, i think.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This problem seems to be related more with the system and the settings on that specific computer rather than the Solid State Drive, have you try to contact Lenovo for further assistance?

if you want to make sure that the Solid State Drive is working properly you can perform a full diagnostic using the Intel(R) Solid State Drive toolbox and you can also try to update the firmware of the Solid State Drive; the latest version for that specific Solid State Drive is: 02M3

You can use the toolbox to update the firmware or you can download the firmware update tool from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think this too!

As i wrote above, all Hardware-parts are up-to-date. Each of them with brand-new published Firmware, SSD included (BTW, Toolbox says 8860 is the newest - it is flashed).

I wrote this thread in Lenovo-Community-Forum aswell, no responses until now. I call the Hotline too, the indian - sorry for that - looser/noob in this ****ing callcenter said, it is maybe incompatible. But - when it is incompatible, why its known by the system? Why i could everything do, only speed is poor? This is a bug for me...

Maybe the X25-E need too much power and the controller doesn't give it? Link-connection just aborts when they would handshake? Idk...

For me i'm out... I bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which is a little bit better than the latest Intel SSDs. I hope Intel goes back to Intel-Controllers and not these ugly SandForce...

R.I.P. X25-E - had a very very awesome time for 3 years. Nice part! Selling at amazon...